That Intresting "Tow Rig" thread - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

That Intresting \"Tow Rig\" thread

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That "Ultimate Tow Rig" thread was one of the most interesting that we've had in a while. It is amazing how many different arrangements there are to "get you there and get you back".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Quite a few RV/trailer lots out here on the jest coast feature the rear-garage-door fifth wheel trailer for the family who wants to go to the dunes with a slew of ATVs or a Dune buggy. Several years ago a racing team from this area fitted up a trailer themselves to carry their midget just like that. Their trailer had the living room in the rear and that became the garage.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Just recently Jeepchick and I began searching for a good "storage trailer" for our excess "stuff", since we have to move to a rental for exactly one year, we didn't want to pack-unpack-repack in such a short time. We located an eight-by-twenty-foot enclosed trailer which was built out of a beverage body, and has five roll-up doors per side; locks up real tight; is insulated; and has a single truck axle under it. It is like having your own mini-storage renta-building right at home, except there is no rent to pay. I may have to remove some of the center partitions to accomodate a few larger items, but most of the existing compartments are perfect for stacking boxes in and readily accessible should we need to grab something out.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We will be "goosnecking" the trailer by stepping the existing vee tongue up 48", and we'll be adding the new electric/hydraulic brake actuating system to the truck axle. We also have to dump out the truck piggy which is still under there oinking away.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] If a person really wanted to get "custom" about it, you could use a tandem axle vacation trailer, maybe a 16 footer, set it on a longer frame, and provide an open deck in back for a jeep. Just scoot the axles back and maybe go from two axles to triples.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I see these tandem trailers all over the place for 1500 to 2000 dollars, self-contained. The generator could be a combo welder/generator for your repairs, and floodlights of course. You have the pickup to scoot around in the rest of the year. You would need to use some kind of heavy duty standard-shift pickup, but the penalty on fuel the rest of the year would not be that much. And here's the best part.....the only machinery you have to worry about on that trailer after it sits around are the wheel bearings and maybe the battery for the generator start-up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: That Intresting \"Tow Rig\" thread

The only real beef I've got against trailers set up how you described with 2 or 3 axles underneath and the nice, low cargo floor is that they always run tires singled out on the axles. Now I know that proper tire maintanence will eliminate 99% of all tire problems, but I just hate getting flats. It happens sometimes, no matter what you do, especially when covering long distances on unfamiliar routes. Now, if you're watching in your mirror (which you should be) and you catch it right away, it isn't that big of a problem. If you don't catch it right away, it's a huge problem. Moreover, if I get a flat on an axle that has dualed up tires, I can drive to wherever a safe spot to fix it is, instead of dragging a blown out tire to the side of the road and attempting the ol' roadside changeout. It also really hurts me to watch a trailer with 3 axles go around a sharp corner on pavement...that scrub just makes me wanna bust, even if the trailer doesn't. Now I know that tandem axles scrub too...but not as much. Ok, so having the dual tires causes you to have a narrower and/or higher floor...Can't deny that. If it were my ideal trailer, it would be a 2 axle with 8 tires... The floor would be flat, and would clear both axles. Looks kinda like a van trailer so far, right? And we've got plenty of clearance to get out of parking lots without dragging the back end. In between the tow rig and the tandem axle, there would be a dropped section, accessible from the side (a la coach busses) that would hold luggage, spare parts, etc. You could have an aux. fuel tank down there, and even make a door in the top of that section, so you could get at the storage from up in the "shop". And with a 2 axle truck and a 2 axle trailer stretched out over a reasonable distance, I should be able to combine a semblance of manueverability with a combination vehicle that could legally scale quite a bit of weight...and I'd have plenty of tires to comfortably share that load.

I'd still pull it all with a powerstroke...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: That Intresting \"Tow Rig\" thread

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You know,...FJ.....you are thinking like a trucker, and I am embarassed[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] that those points escaped me. You are absolutely right, and going one step further, you could even skid-mount the living section and have the trailer as a useable flatbed the rest of the year. When I get east of the Rockies and see those centipede truck combos with all of those axles I can only imagine how they must scrub pavement on a hot day, when they are loaded.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] At one time. the beverage folks out here had a brainstorm which they were convinced would save them some big bucks. Instead of building a totally new truck; which meant stepping the frame and so forth to install the beverage body; they reasoned that they could build semis and pull them with dually one-tonners. By doing that, the expensive beverage body would outlast several one tonners. The PROBLEM was, the one-tonners were just basically pickups, and they couldn't take the stress of all that weight. And as you know, liquid is HEAVY....8+ pounds per gallon. The go-to-events trailer that we are talking bout here shouldn't be anywhere near that kind of weight, but it would weigh more that a vacation trailer, plus a jeep. Maybe a couple of tons more with tandem duals and a good frame.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode