need advice! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need advice!

I've found an 87 Wrangler that's been professionally restored. It's got 48,000 miles on original V6, hardtop, new paint and no rust anywhere. At $5500 it seems like a good deal, but my main concern is that the automatic transmission has a "slow" shift into 2nd. It doesn't slip, but it takes a little while to get there. Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice? I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:29 AM
Old Hand

Re: buying a jeep

I would question the 'professional restoration' if something like the tranny isn't right. Sounds like it has low miles and looks good. Based on the fact that the tranny has something going on, it doesn't sound like a screaming deal. Now, if you are planning to replace the tranny anyway, then the point is somewhat moot. If that is the case use the tranny as a bargaining tool to get it for $4,000 instead.

-raymo

If we're not supposed to eat animals, then why do they taste like meat?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need advice!

Did Jeep offer a V6 as original equipment? I was not aware of that. If not, you might question the "original equipment". Nothing wrong with a different engine. Friend of mine just finished putting a Ford Cobra V8 into a CJ, but if the owner of the CJ you are looking at makes some false claims, you might want to question other claims too.
Check and see if Jeep offered the V6. I don't know for sure.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 12:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't believe that jeep put a V-6 in 87 wranglers check this out it's probably not restored or the tranny would have been gone thru at that time.See if you can take it to a tranny shop to see what they think, and while it's on the lift you have a real good opportunity to check out the undercarrage for rust, cracks etc.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 01:09 PM

Sounds fishy to me,,, 87 Wrangler YJ with a V-6??? I don't think so. That little 6 was used on the XJ's Not the YJ's. Better ask that guy lots of questions.
GP'n

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure if this may help.. but depending on the Tranny in that Jeep there should be some setting that the 2nd Gear will follow that determines where it will shift. I had a 95 Wrangler and it did the same thing.. I got down and read a book about it and took it to the tranny shop and showed them what was wrong and they were able to just set a few adjustments. Just ask the guy if you can go get the tranny gone through before buying it might be a small fix...

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 06:31 PM

people lable the inline 6s as V6s all the time, used car dealers are bad about this.

if it is REALLY a V6 then No it isnt factory!

the 1-2 shift on a TF tranny is controlled by the kickdown linkage, its pretty easy to change, if it doesnt slip, and the fluid looks/smeels good after a test drive I wouldnt let a late 2nd shift detur me.

check it out good though! IM really leary of ANYONE elses "restoration" techniques.

you dont restore something and then sell it.
and at 48K miles it shouldnt NEED a restoration UNLESS it was abused/wrecked/flooded/burned.

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode