New use for Dimmer switch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New use for Dimmer switch

I have several KS lights mounted to my Jeep, who doesn't. I like to run them when driving at night. I live in N.W. Montana and there are more cattle than people. I just get tired of having to reach down and flip the switch to kill the daylighters. I was thinking about using a relay and a three way toggle switch to run the KC's through the floor dimmer switch so that the KC's are on in the high beam mode and off in the low beam mode. I looked at the wiring diagram and I think I found the wire for my 76 CJ-7 that is for the high beams, the striped one coming out of the switch and going to the lights. I figured that I could use a three way toggle switch to have a master over-ride setting in which the lights could be turned on regardless of the dimmer switch. And then the obvious off setting. And then use the third position to run the lights with the dimmer switch as the control. This way I could just click the dimmer switch and have 1-Million Candlepower, click it again and have normal low beams. That way I could turn off my KC's and not have to take my eyes off the road. My only dilemma is trying to figure out if the dimmer switch could take that much juice. If anyone could help me out with this I would apprecite it. Whataya think of my idea.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:26 AM
cj7jeep

Re: New use for Dimmer switch

Could you run the floor switch to a relay for the KC's instead of directly getting the power for the KC's from the the floor switch. I have always run the switch to a relay, that way you never have that much juice going inside the cab.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tap into your high beam circuit and run it to a switch like you already have in the cab. Then run from this switch to trigger a relay for the KC's. Run the main power to the relay and then to the lights. Doing it this way you avoid running all the power into the cab. It also allows the KC's to only be on when the high beams are on and will kick them off when you go to low. I added the in cab switch so that if you are in a more populated area, you can shut the KC's off and still run the high beams without them.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 01:34 PM
Official Historian

several years ago i wired my truck this way. i used a double throw-center off switch for the lights. in one position they are on, center off, and the third is fed from the high beam circuit. i just tapped into the wire coming from the dimmer switch inside the cab. i also used a relay so only the relay is being powered by the original circuit. it works great.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a quick wiring diagram. Note the wire gages. Size the Relay and fuses based on how many and how powerful your auxillary lights are.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-227019-WireDiagram.gif (7.5 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you ALL. I am heading to the car stereo shop right now to get the wire and everything I need. THANX[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:42 PM

Ted's diagram is the way to go. Since your using a relay you wont be putting to much current throw existing circuits. Plus you can run just the off road lights if you wish too when off road. I would add a red indicator light in the dash to alert you when the off road lights are in the dimmer switch mode. I use red indicator lights for all of my off road functions(such as Brake lights switched "off", high intensity reverse lights "on") the red lights just remind me to check all of my switches, when I get back on the road.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's an updated version with the indicator light included for when you overide the factory dimmer switch.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-227109-WireDiagram.gif (10.1 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode