Idea on my new ride! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Idea on my new ride!

This is what I would really like to do. I can stretch my frame to CJ8 length, 104 inches. Buy a fiberglass CJ8 body, and just start swapping parts. Of course, I would have to chop the rear overhang off, and would need to find a hard top, and doors, half cab and hard half doors are prefered, but a CJ7 hardtop would be pretty neat. Prices for fiberglass bodies really aren't all that expensive. It would be nice if I could find a supplier close, so I wouldn't have to pay frieght. I know of 2 places in Montana that build Jeep frames, so you would think someone would have fiberglass bodies. Of course I havn't figure out how much this crazy idea will cost me, when I figure that out I will probably decide it is to much $ for a trail rig. With the drivetrain upgrades I want to do, NV4500, and hybrid D60/Scout rearend, I have a feeling I am looking at about $5000. I will have to sit down , and figure out a close estimate. This is my dream trail rig. I think I will stay with 35 inch tires for the time being, because if I decide to do this, it would put a major dent in my tire budget.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 03:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Idea on my new ride!

wake up..... your dreaming

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray-

I don't think that you are dreaming, I believe that you are on the right track for what you want in a trail rig.

BUT: What about moving the rear wheels back. You said that you would chop off the overhang of the CJ8. Maybe modify another body other than a CJ8? The top and the doors should be easy to pick up on the used market.

Once you have the tub and frame figured out it should be down hill from there.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dreaming? I think not. I have the money, I am not sure that I can justify spending it on a trail rig. I am also trying to save for a down payment on a house, and a trail rig isn't my first priority. It would be pretty neat though.

Thanks, Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why not just start with a scrambler? Or is that too easy?

lol

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray-

I'm the Broker for a real estate company so as you would expect, I'm going to tell you to "BUY A HOUSE FIRST!" There are lots of reasons why that I'm sure you know or at least have heard so I won't preach here. However, that doesn't mean that you can't be working on this project as well.

I keep coming back to the placement of the rear wheels. With the way they are pushed forward on the CJ8 aren't you into body work anyway you go, or am I off base with your intentions? I was thinking that if I'm not off base, then maybe get one of those Montana frames made to your spec and stretch the body of your CJ5 or find a CJ7.

Just A Thought
Kriss

PS: BUY A HOUSE! (Even if it's not your dream house.)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I could find a Scrambler, I would buy it. Still kicking myself for not buying the one I found a year ago. He was asking $2200, and it was in pretty decent shape. Do you really want me to start cutting up an origanal CJ8, It would have to be in sad shape for me to do that. I really think I am going to do some work to the 5, it needs new body sides. My doors don't even get close to fitting. I believe the body is bent by the firewall, but can't find any telltale marks where. All I know is, when I put a new soft top on last year, if I used the measurements in the instructions, it wasn't even close to fitting. It took me a weekend to install a Supertop, and I still didn't get it on right. As far as the aftermarket frames, I personally feel that they are way over priced.

Thanks, Ray

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray-

Like that old CJ6 in the junk yard, it would a crime to hack up a good CJ8. I picked up an 81 CJ5 that came with a hard top. The doors would not close even thought the body did not look all that bad. I took to a frame shop, gave them the factory spec sheet and told them to make as close as they could. The body moves with the frame as it is repositioned. When I got the jeep back the doors fit perfectly and the new Supertop went on with no problem. It cost me about $300 to do. Maybe this trick will help you out as well. Besides, if you are going to slice and dice it is probably best to start with the frame a straight as possible.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As much as I would like to do this, I am talking about a trail only rig. The more I think about it, I can't justify doing it. It would mean that I would have to get into, what I call my emergancy only $, basicly, Money that I have in investments, that I can still get to, but promised myself, that I would only do it in an emergancy, or for my retirement. This money won't even be used for my house. What kind of person would I be if I couldn't keep a promise to myself. I really havn't figured out what I am going to do, but I am sure I will stay with a Jeep of some sort.

Thanks, Ray

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray-

Keep us posted on how the new trail rig is going. Now take a quick moment and call a couple of mortgage brokers and see about getting pre-qualified for a house loan. There are even some 0 down deals out there. At least then you will know where you stand on being able to get a house. If you buy one now, in 5 or 10 years you will be thanking yourself for doing so as it will probably be the best investment that you could make. I paid $70,000 for my house 12 years ago and it is now worth $225,000. Not a bad return.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode