Adaptor for GM to FORD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Mac

Adaptor for GM to FORD

I know that avanced adaptors make an adaptor for a GM 350 engine to a t-18 ford tranny, but is there something out there that I could go to the yard and get. I just really need the bellhousing.

Thanks

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mac [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

75 CJ5 Almost Never will be done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 09:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Adaptor for GM to FORD

this is a relatively easy swap, you will need to addres three issues:
1. the ford pilot shaft is slightly shorter, so you need to get a special pilot bushing for the swap (AA)
2. the chevy uses a larger diameter on the O.D. of the front bearing retainer, you will need to have a machine shop build up the ford front bearing retainer to the chevy diameter, while you have both bearing retainers in hand go to the auto parts store and find a ford throw out bearing that will match up with the chevy fork you will be using.
3. you will need to weld some extra meat on the chevy bellhousing to have room to drill the ford bolt pattern, or pick up a used scattershield (lakewood) at a swapmeet, the scattershield is steel and has plenty of room to drill the ford pattern.

good luck, jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Adaptor for GM to FORD

As I understood the swap, the Ford input bearing retainer has to be turned down, not built up as previously posted. There is a way to do it without an adapter other than the pilot bushing. Check out Novak's website. There is more information there how to do this. If you have questions after reading the website, call them. They are always willing to explain this one on the phone. http://www.novak-adapt.com

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode