Welcome to Al Gore's "Environment Decade" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome to Al Gore\'s \"Environment Decade\"

As if you need any more reasons not to vote for algore, here are some more directly related to our sport/hobby.
http://www.off-road.com/land/gore.html

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:44 PM

Re: Welcome to Al Gore\'s \"Environment Decade\"

Jeeze,

you would think that at the current gas prices most folks ( let me say most SMART folks) would be happy someone is pushing something other than an internal combustion engine.

you and I, and we and the rest of us ALL know that no one is planning to take your Jeep, or your truck, or your damned PWC ( id sink everyone if it were me personally)they wake me up at the lake!.

its very obvious, to MOST folks, that we need a longterm plan for daily transport that does not rely on overseas oil, or any other non controllable/depletable resource.

we can and will have our gas guzzlers for a long time, the question is how long will WE be able to afford to run them?

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ozarkjeep, I'm glad you brought that up (can always count on a contrary pov!) Anyway, the technology is WAY off in the future for anything AFFORDABLE that will put out any sort of useable power for longer than a half hour. If the algore has his way you'll be walkin long before there is an alternative to internal combustion (don't believe what you saw in the beginning of "Mission to Mars"! Its farther away than 2020). And please don't tell me you missed the overall point, the guy is a MENACE to our very way of life.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ozark I can tell you how long we can afford to run them,Ten minutes after an Al Gore election victory he wants us here in the U.S. to pay four to five bucks a gallon for gas like they do in europe when we have plenty of oil all we have to do is drill for it.I'm not saying don't develope something else just do it now while we have plenty of oil.And yes no one is going to take your jeep or your truck they're just going to make it to expensive to use for recreation, so in effect they have limited your use of it which accomplishes thier goals.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:23 PM

I dont want to get into this stuff again, But how is any president gonna raise the cost of gas. Tha extra taxes and such all have to be apropriated through the House and Senate, which is,and should remain Republican controlled, as it has been for the last 6 years.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 10:27 AM

Well H8, the president himself might not be able to do it, but the goon he appoints to the EPA certainly can exponentially increase the cost of gas, by hyperregulating the industry, requiring wacky reformulations that haven't been proven, decreasing things like sulfur content in the fuel to nearly non existent levels, all of which will serve to only boot the price of gasoline up to the sky and leave everyone without the ability to afford it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Most of those things effect the supply by the way... They make the supply go way down since it's harder to refine or reformulate it that much, and it takes more time, plus you are left with less overall product anyhow since the other stuff wouldn't meet the legal requirements... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] And I'd bet you about anything that if Gore gets elected he puts a greenie wacko goon in the EPA and the USDA, and all those other agencies... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] So yes he'll (perhaps indirectly) still be responsible for kicking the price of gasoline and other allegedly "environmentally unfriendly" things through the roof...

Have you guys heard about that Honda thing that is a gas/electric hybrid where they use that tiny gas engine to turn a generator (i assume) to power the electric motor(s) to make it go? It allegedly gets in the 60mpg range easily... I think that'll be the next step for a while before other electric technologies come way down in price and go way up in efficiency/usefulness (i.e. being able to be used for longer than 30 minutes or so before needing an all day recharge).

Sorry to butt in on you guys' forum...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

H8 see what 454 has to say plus the republican congress has not stood up to clinton why would they suddenly have the hutspa to stand up to Gore.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 12:23 PM

My excact point.
The republicans have had the power to get so much more done, than they have. They have spent to much time pointing fingers and trying to idscredit our moraly challenged president, that they have forgotten how to role up their sleeves and get to work. But if you think that putting in a president that will just roll over for their every whim, so that they have to fight for nothing is gonna help the economy, just remember that the republicans ran up the deficit to 3.7 trillion dollars when they had controll last time, and more small buisnesses failed(% wise) than any other time in history. Interest rates and housing also skyrocketed. Im not sure what you are expecting from having a republican in office, but dont count on all of the sudden having new trails opened, or some sort of off roading shangrala in the near future. Although the republicans will not grab land they also will do nothing to have the private sectors open up for us. Take central Oregon for example, there are countless roadways and wilderness areas, but they are entirely corporate owned and they are all locked up tight as a drum, with no tresspassing signs everywhere. Im just not sure what kind of improvements we will see if the republicans are left to make all the decisions, in the Oval office, The hOuse , Senate and Supreme Court.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 12:41 PM
Old Hand

We have to pick the leeser of two evils in my opinion.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 03:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hank is correct .....it is a lesser of two evils thingie. Each direction is a double edged sword. If you think Gore is such a demon with his environmental posture (and yes, he will be a demon) you should check out the flip side of the coin. Bush's own state Texas is a haven for polluting industry.....in some areas to the point where an air quality check is required before school kids are let outside for recess. They both blow smoke up your a$$ to get in office.....they confuse you with a bunch of idealistic bull$hit to distract you from the real boning that they are giving you. Most of you haven't got a clue of how we are all being suckered into giving the reigns to someone who, in one form or another, is going to shove it up your a$$.

There is one, and only one, reason why we depend on foreign oil. It's cheaper. Believe me.......if it was cheaper to refine the domestically produced product......we would.

Most technologies are sponed out of need. When, and only when, electric/hybrid/fuel cell/ steam cars become the cost effective alternative to the internal combustion engine will they be put to use "en mass". ALL the current enviro cars are subsidized. That is, either they are developed via federal grants.....or are a REQUIRED % of production (which is then subsidized via our regular internal combustion engined vehicles. There are many products that can do the same job and consume far less energy (toasters, refridgerators, etc.) but since we get energy fairly cheap (I know it doesn't seem cheap) the competitive market produces cheap products that consume too much energy......as the price of energy goes up these products will become more energy efficient. There is just no way around it.......economics dictates these things. I don't want a "Gore" environmental policy governing my consumption.....but I'm adult enough to realize that sooner or later.......environmental issues are going to turn into a "push comes to shove" situation. When push comes to shove it gets very expensive......so.......do you pay now??? (Gore).......or pay more later (Bush). Tax and spend......or bump the bill to next generation???

It is truly a case of choose your poison - you'll only get the worst of either. Check my signature......it just about says it all.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode