Registering Custom CJ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Registering Custom CJ???

i'm in the process of collecting parts and info to build a "NEW" CJ from the ground up, the only snag i really have is that i'm not sure how to register this jeep... i wont have an original title and was wondering what some of you other adventurous soles have had to do to get your rigs registered. i realize all states are different, but any info will give me some idea of what direction to take.
i really don't want to get it all put together and then not be able to register it.

TIA

dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 01:12 PM
joeybcdt

Re: Registering Custom CJ???

I'm not sure how helpful this wiill be......do what you have to do in your state to tag the vehicle as a "pre-emmissions" year model. I would probably buy an old junked out CJ7 just to get the clear title and a few salvagable parts. Whatever parts had the VIN number, I'd restore and use.

Joey

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 02:20 PM

I would check with your state DMV .No use building something you cant register .Or just go the junker title route and you won't get nickle and dimed to death on trivial parts no longer avaliable not even through 4 wheel drive or Quadratec.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try talking to the DMV in your state but, in most cases, all you have to do is take all the receipts down to them or the State Police and they will issue you a title. You will have to prove to them that the frame is new if you don't have an old titled one. The frame is the one part that is stamped with the vin number. In other words- New Frame, no title required by DMV. Old Frame, got to have title to frame.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 08:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>>>>>I would check with your state DMV

***** taking this route would be long and expensive as well as time comsuming. Buy a junk Cj (pre emissions year) and make sure the color isnt mentioned on the title, swap the tags and then register it. Whammo all done.

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 10:55 AM

I went through a similiar situation with my CJ about 2 years ago. I was unaware of most of the laws that go along with
titles,bodies and frames. Here's a little about what I had to do...of course this is in Virginia, so I don't if the laws apply
elsewhere.

When I called to have the old body removed from my garage by a local wrecker, I was told that the only way they could
take it was with the title! Of course he could plainly see the new body on my rebuilt CJ, he told me that VIN numbers
that are fixed onto the body can't be removed and the VIN number follows the main body and NOT the frame, fenders,
or hood. I had removed the VIN and put it onto my new body. I didn't really think anything of it! In essence I would have
to get a "salvage" title for my new CJ.
I told him thanks for the info. and that I would call him back later to pick it up.

I made a call to the DMV, and of course they told me it was illegal to remove VIN plates! So, at this point I am
now a felon! They gave me another number to call and this guy had all the info! He was the man in Richmond in
charge of Vehicle theft prevention. Sounds important! Anyway, to make a long story short...he made a phone call
for me and then I got a call from the VA State Highway Patrol! They sent out an officer to look at the old body and
watch me remove the VIN number from the old body (which I had done once already!) and attach it to the new body.
At this point he gave me only a few forms to sign one of which was an application for a new title. My new title arrived
in a few days, and now I could have the old body removed since I had a VOID title for it. I say VOID because it was
void by the officer.

That's my story...one more thing...they even sent me a new VIN plate for my new CJ. Great bunch of guys and really
helpful. Not once did I get accused of anything. I'd just give your DMV a call...mine was really helpful, maybe you'll get
great help like I did.

Alec

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20 dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights
'glass body tied in full cage

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 12:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I was just planning on transfering my VIN plate to my new body. I just figured my old body will be in small enough pieces that I should be able to haul myself as scrap.

I just wasn't going to say anything to anybody..... shhh.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Keep every receipt, title or any other kind of paper you get along the way because the one you don't keep s the one they'll want every time.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 01:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing to be aware of is emissions laws. In some states if you scratch build a vehicle in 1999, you have to meet emissions standards for model year 1999 vehicles. Like others have said, call your local DMV and get it right before you shell out those precious dead presidents!

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks, you have all been a great help. i'll have to call the DMV in the morning and see what they have to say, i know a guy i could get an old body and title from if necessary i guess, i was just hoping to avoid that. i'll let you know what i find out as i go.

thanks again
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode