Help engine not turning over - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help engine not turning over

When my Jeep got broken into a few weeks ago the main computer was stolen. I finally got the "correct" computer and put it in this morning. The engine cranks and fires breifly when the key is on, but as soon as the key is let go and alowed to return to running position the engine dies. Can anyone please give me insite into what is wrong. I think it has to do with the engine not getting enough spark, but I'm not sure what is causing it. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 10:44 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Re: Help engine not turning over

My jeep did that one time right after I put an intake gasket on, it turned out it was the ignition switch . One of my buddies said that is the kind of luck he has, work on something and then something else brakes that has nothing to do with the part he`s has been working on .

82 cj-7,258,hei,weber,np435,D-300, superior axles
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim-

I'm not an electrical guy, but logic tells me that the wire that provides the power to the system when in "run" position must not be making contact. (Not connected, wire broken, or something like that) Only a guess.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 12:19 AM
chasejeep7

Hey tim,

I'd say you got an injection problem. Like your throttle body isn't passing any fuel. Did you check computer connections for that?

A key thing to check is to see if your fuel pump is working right. Pull the fuel line off the TBI unit and pump the gas once to check for flow. I would think this is fine, since you get a little cranking, you said.

If the start up is sputtery, you could have timing problems. Did you have to replace your distributor with the computer. If you don't get that right, it will not idle. I thought I was on TDC and correct timing once, but the engine needed constant pressure on the gas to keep going. Pulled the rotor out and found I was a tooth off -- been fine since.

A long shot is a clogged egr, which I would think is on your 350. But that would've showed up before the replaced computer. But maybe computer vacuum controls are screwy.

If all this fails, do a compression check to see all your cylinders are good. Make sure spark plugs and wires are clean and that your distributor is correctly aligned. These are key to a idling beauty. Hope I've helped somewhat.

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 12:29 PM

Tim...I had the EXACT same problem after I put in my 360. In my case...I removed the front grill for ease of engine install. When I pluged the headlight(among other things) plug back into the firewall I buggered up one pin in the plug. The pin that provides "+" to the coil after you release the key.

Easy check: check the voltage at the coil with the key in the "start" position...should be around 12v. Then check the voltage after you let go of the key(in the run position)...should be something less than 12(6-9). My guess is you are not getting juice in the run position for some reason.

78 CJ5 w/360
"measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode