The contriversal T-5.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The contriversal T-5....

OK, I have a t-5, nothing I can do about that now. I just want the facts about it. Everytime the jeep T5 is brought up, there's always a few who scream on how it's such a terrible transmission, but never tell what's wrong with, where the weak points are and how to make it better it. I know elusive had a t-5 behind his high-horse 304 with 35" boggers and from what I've seen/read, he drove the daylights out of it and it still worked. Theroetically it would be a good jeep tranny if it were a bit more HD. Like it's got a 4:1 first, which isn't great, but it's better than the 3 spds, as well as OD which is great if the jeep needs to be used as a daily driver. So, who's got stories, ratings, upgrades, FACTS about the T5???

One more thing, my t-5 is bright <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, this mean anything to anybody??

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: The contriversal T-5....

i don't have any specifics but have heard and seen pic's of damaged gears from the tranny. the internals are just not up to hard use but i think as long as you don't run a high hp motor and don't run the jeep hard then you can make it live. i don't know exactly how you plan to use your jeep but the t-5 has no place in a hard core 4x4. one thing i have learned since i got into four wheeling is that if you have a majority of people who say that something is no good, then it is no good. you might hear of 1 person out of 10 who has had good luck with something but what are the chances that you will have the same luck? since you already have the tranny and don't want to swap then go ahead and run it till it breaks. then you can figure out where to go from there. good luck.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 02:36 PM

If it ain't broke ,don't fix it....just drive it. One of the best things about Jeeps is you can build them any way you want to ,as long as you are happy with it and it serves your purpose then go with it.I like my jeeps a little on the trashey side.... LOL.... as long as they run when you need them everything else is just eye candy

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 02:55 PM

I replaced my T-4 with the AA World Class T-5 about 3 years ago when I did my rebuild. There are significant differences internally compared to the stock T-5, like improved oiling to the 3rd gear, and better syncros. I did alot of research, and for a measly 1500, with no driveshaft mods,its an affordable alternative to the stock tranny. Of course, you can also get the World Class T-4 for 250 less. I opted for the 5 speed so I can run lower axle gears.
My engine is the stock 258 with a Weber 38, Borla cat-back and HEI ignition, and I am confidant that this tranny will last a long time.
Do a search on Deja.com, or Dogpile.com, you'll find about a million discussions on this topic.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The differences between the T-5 and a heavy duty alternative are many, but the important thing to consider is how the Jeep will be used. I have 90K on my T-5 and have beat the hell out of it. The issue here is the power in the motor. A reasonable motor is not going to blow the T-5 in a matter of minutes as manny would like to have you think. With gear reductions in the transfer case and the rear differential and the tranny being in the right gear for the job, your axel shafts in the 30 or U-joints are going to fail before first gear.

84 CJ-7/258,Weber 38,Jacob's Omni Mag,flowmaster,3.5" SL,32" BFGMT, Superior 1 peas
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have run my T-5 HARD! 4:56 gears and detroits in both ends. The 3rd and 4th gear syncros seem to have alot of problems. I have heard alot of people say they have had to replace them. All in all it has done its job for me so I can't complain. By the way I will have my T-5 pulled out to replace with an NP435 (Thank's to High5) so if you need one mine will be CHEAP!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.

http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I ran a t-5 with 35"boggers, weldd front diff, and 360hp.. never a problem.. but i did baby it a little.. never dumped the clutch

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran a T5 with 130k miles behind a 360, 35" SSR's and detroits. It held up for about 6 months, started to leak and then lost 5th gear.....it was a good tranny but I replaced it with a 727 auto tranny.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had a few T-5's in my own family, and I also run a repair business where I have the opportunity to see what other folks are doing with them. In general, I would say that I don't believe they deserve a real bad reputation. And, yes, they can be hurt. My own daughter, who I consider a pretty agressive driver, has not broken her T-5, with currently over 250K miles on it. But, it HAS had some 'normal' T-5 problems. (Her CJ is a stock 258, with only 31-inch tires.)
Based on working on lots of T-5's, I would say that I believe the first thing to go is third gear. The teeth on third can break, and by the time you get to it, it has also destroyed the cluster.
If you drive conservatively, third will probably never break. Then, just from age and miles, the next thing to go is the front bearing. If you let it go, then it will also ruin the input shaft and cluster. At this point, you will also probably need syncros and a small parts kit (which includes the bearings, seals, etc). I have never actually seen any real bad syncros. I assume that folks with syncro problems, really thrash them.
And, finally, I have seen a few fifth gears that have broken. It often takes both gears, and I have seen a few times that it ruined the housing (the adapter housing between the trans and t-case).
My gear source is rather limited. I am only able to get one ratio for third (I believe two were used in Jeeps). This really lakes no difference, since I have always had to buy third and the cluster together. This would only make a difference if you wanted to buy third, without the cluster. And, for 5th, I've had minor problems getting the correct gears (again, two ratios were used).
To anyone that might want to fix a high-mileage T-5, and not 'spring' for an expensive alternative... If you have had good service from the T-5, Why not? Sure, parts are pretty expensive. But, the alternatives are more expensive.
I have the original Jeep factory service booklet for the T-5. I would xerox the disassembly/assembly procedure for anyone that is not able to find the info. And, BTW, you can often find the service booklet where you buy the gears. My local guy has a rack of booklets that covers almost every automatic and stick trans from all over the world.

bobH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode