Getting $3500 to lift my TJ ...need advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 04:19 AM
jeepfreak

Getting $3500 to lift my TJ ...need advice

I have $3500 to lift my 2000 TJ and want advice on the smartest way to do it.
Heres what I have in mind so far.

TeraFlex lift $1000
Shocks $200
4-goodyear mtr's $800 (probably 33" 12.50's)
4-wheels $600 (havent decided which ones figured $150 each)
np231 short shaft $320
cv drivshaft $300

Total $3220

This leaves me $280 to spend wisely. I was thinking about a rear rock bumper with a swing away tire carrier to carry a 33" spare tire

What do you guys think about these choices? would you go another route? I would like to hear your opinions.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

Confuscious said:
"The wise man takes the path of least resistance"
I say:
"Confucious didn't know jack about Jeeps"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 01:36 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Getting $3500 to lift my TJ ...need advice

We just finished putting on Rubicon Express's new 6" lift on my friends TJ. It comes with a new (thinner) skid plate (1/4" steel) and you should see the arms that connect from the axle to the skid plate, talk about heavy duty! You can opt for the Rancho 9000s, great shocks. He was no.50 on the waiting list and waited about 4 months to get it. With the tail shaft conversion and the cv driveshaft he has about $3000 in it. It looks tuff as hell and works great. The flex is unreal and it rides better than stock. He is running 33 12.50s and they look kinda small. He did not want to stress the stock axles (ARBed) with 35s. New axles and bigger tires will come next year. That is a lot of cash but it works great and he is very happy with it. It took a lot of work to get everthing right but it sure is sweet!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd wait until Tera comes out with their long arm lift. It will still be in the 4" neighborhood (which is perfect for a TJ) and the control arms wont mount to the tcase skid like RE's. They will have their own crossmember that is seperate of the tcase skid and can either be bolted or welded in. Their arms will also have a bend manufactured into them unlike RE's which are straight and a little exposed.

If you cant wait then go with the RE. If you can wait 2 months then I'd suggest you do so. All the top kit manufacurers are coming out with long arm lifts and some are going to be superior to the others.

Go with an Advance Adapters fixed yoke (short shaft). It's stronger than the others by a little bit and cost pretty much the same.

Why spend so much on wheels? If you use your Jeep offroad then they are going to get chewed up. Go with a AR767 black rockcrawler wheel. $40 each. Save your money and get a locker.

I'd do a 1" body/engine lift and fit 35" tires. The MTR's are an excellent choice.

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rather than give specific suggestions I would suggest an approach, a method.

There are certain things that need to be changed together, other changes can be made individually without regard for the rest of the veh.

To use a silly example. You are running 29" tires and decide that you need 33s. Change them one at a time as you can afford each new tire and take several months to complete the change? Yea, it would probably work, but geez...

Make a list of the things that should be changed all at once in order for the veh to still perform. You have a chunk of money to do that. Then wait for the individual mods.

Individual Mods:
1) Body and undercarriage protection, skid plates, body armor etc. All these are VERY important if you off road. When someone asks me about doing mods, I tell them that even my CBrack is not a good FIRST mod. PROTECT THAT UNDERCARRIAGE AND BODY. But your case is a bit different. You don't have to off road. You don't have to do extreme off roading. If your $3,500 was spent on the things that need to be done at the same time, you can add a skid plate here and there when you have some more money. Just don't tackle the rough stuff til you are protected.
2) CBradios, CBrack [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img], bekini tops, other tops, soft doors, Tuffy boxes, chrome this or that (ugh), bug screens, lights, bumpers. ALL GOOD STUFF, but all can be added one at a time as money permits.

Stuff that needs to be changed all at once.
1) Tires as a set but also in conjuction with axle ratios, lift and the axle itself.
2) Lift. The TOTAL lift which would include control arms, springs, axle rotation, drive shaft and tail shaft conversion. A suggestion: Whatever lift you decide on, make sure that the upper and lower control arms are adjustable for length. This makes it a snap to rotate the axles as well as move them backwards and forwards. If you get into 35 or 36 inch tires, the rear axle needs to move backwards just a bit to keep the tires from hitting the front of the rear wheel well.

Tires and lift are really two separate packages that can be done at separate times. Doesn't mean that you would like the rig before it is finished, but at least it would work in most situations - not like running 3 29" tires and one 33" tire, or changing the gear ratio in one axle only.
You could put a very good 6" lift on, or 5" or whatever as your first mod and change nothing else. It would look funny, but it would work. You could then install larger tires with the idea of doing the rest of the tire package later, but if you do, just realize that you have to be careful on the trail, cause stock D35 axles are not made for that application, and also realize that your hwy performance will be greatly altered too until you change the gearing. You may not be able to use 5th gear, for example. If you do not put a locker in the rear axle, the odds turn much more in your favor for not breaking it.
You could do the tire package which would include tires, axles, lockers, and gears and a CHEAP lift. That would still work - not the best, but still better than the 29"/33" tire combo.

What I am trying to steer you AWAY from is spending all your money only to find out that you have created a machine that will not do what it was able to do before you ever started changing stuff. And find that it needs another couple of thousand dollars before you can get back to "fully usable".

Another thing you might consider is that Jeepers frequently make changes only to find that the changes they made do not fit with the rest of the setup. (what I am advising AGAINST here) At that point some after market parts become available for a much lesser cost than they were when bought new.

Am sure there will be differing opinions, but I think everyone will agree - Think it through over and over again before you spend your money.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good choice on the TeraFlex...they build Awesome stuff...i put the S3T kit on Project TJ....it actually gave us 4" of lift, stock driveshafts and 1" t-case drop with absolutely NO DRIVELINE VIBRATION! I have lots of pics...if you have any ?s on the Tereaflex kit, or Project TJ in general, lemme know...by the way...where's you Winch and Locker/custom axle budget? hehehe

mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
Big Mud Tires are from the Earth....they were put here for you...and for me...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use spacers and send me the rest of the $$. Good idea?

)

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 10:49 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

What is your goal?

I ask this because it really matters when it comes to where you spend your money, and in what order you make modifications.

It looks form your description you are after the "look" of a lift and larger tires. These are nice things, but lockers and other gear go further off road...

I would go for lockers and gears before tires and lift any day - IMHO [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 05:11 PM
jeepfreak

Re: What is your goal?

Well, I like all of your opinions.(excluding Bostons..Ha HA) I have been putting alot of thought into this lift. I want it to look well as well as perform well. I know that without the lockers and skids that it still wont be an extreme off-road vehicle. But it will be a start. My future mods will include d44 front axle, lower gears, 35" tires, skid plates. But all of these are going to take alot of time and money for me. Basically what I am looking for is what would be the best method to start with? Thanks for the input by everybody. Anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

Confuscious said:
I say:
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 08:05 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Well, if vehicular looks is what you are after, I am the wrong person to be giving out advise there. My trck started 6 years ago when I got it having chrome rims, nerf bars, and roll bar - and I have systematically removed everything "pretty" and gone straight for "functional" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I still say locker & gears before tires and lift... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 08:24 PM
jeepfreak

Well DRM my goal is to make it pretty and functional. Its a 2000 TJ. I would have to to alot of bad things to it to make it not pretty. I considered getting the gears and lockers first but then it would not be functional for the highway with small tires. Plus I would still be limited on trails due to the highth.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

Confuscious said:
I say:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode