Ultimate "Tow Rig" (to hual family + Jeep) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Ultimate \"Tow Rig\" (to hual family + Jeep)

I'm editing my post because i've been thinking some more,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
for me i want something that will get my wife (and daughters) to come along with me more, turn wheeling into more of a family thing.
now it's pretty much just me going wheeling, now everyone else likes camping (we have a Pop-Up camper) but camping only is just to slow for me.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
so for all of us to go together we have to drive seperately both pulling something, (1/2 pickup pulling "3/4tonYJ" and my wife's CJ-8 pulling the Pop-Up. don't get me wrong, i'm grateful for what i got, but think the motorhome would be the way to go for the whole family. and i don't what to wait until i can afford something really nice (if ever) so the used 50,000+ miles, late 70's or early 80's, 24' to ??? is for me. I think
after reading all the good posts a couple times, i've come up with some questions.
1. what make a class "C" and a class "A" motorhome.
2. i just have a regular drivers license, where is the line draw that will require me to get something different?
thanks for any help......

(1st post below)
i've been debating buying a J-20 (oh ya, 3/4ton) V-8, T-18, bla bla bla, and it's got a big flat bed. the price was good but it was alsowrecked.

anyway, i believe after much debating to not get it and save my money for the ultimate "Tow Vehicle" what ever that is,
to me it's an affordable motor home. i'm thinking about a $5000 late 70's Winnabego (spelling?)
can you image the project that would turn into [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] one to take me into retirement i'm sure.

so what do you all think would be the ultimate "Tow Rig"?

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:53 PM

Re: Ulitmate \"Tow Rig\"

Cherokee Cheif widetrack with J20 running gear.
maybe an M715, but only if it had a deisel conversion, but not near as comfortable as the cherokee.

Ive got a buddy with a mid 80s Ford 3/4 ton diesel truck, granny 4 speed,4x4.
and MY GOD its UGLY, but man its the SMOOTHEST, most powerful tow rig Ive ever seen!
that drive train in an M715 or Cherokee would be really impressive.

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 10:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yeah, a motor home would be a good idea because you take your motel room with you. What you need is a bigger motor home.....bob off the tail so the rear overhang is less....then convert it to a five speed truck transmission.....if you don't feel confident designing the shift linkage I can show you how.......and put that behing the Dodge 440 CID motor home engine. OR....better yet, a chassis-mount "camper"....they used to make them???....and put that on a regular truck chassis and forget trying to make a truck out of a motor home. Make a motor home out of a truck. OR....buy a bus.....front engine only, no pushers or "pancake" engines...bob off the body to the desired length.....shorten the frame to get the desired wheelbase and overhang....and make the insides into a plush motel-on-wheels. THAT should take you to retirement. Let X= the number of busses that were bought and never made it to motor home status.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 11:04 AM

I work for a Private School. We buy the retired busses the Public School System sells for $1000-1500 and send them to a mechanic where maybe another $500 is put into them. Then they turn around and sell the ones they don't keep for $3000-5000. If I had enough land I'd buy on of those and chop off enough of the back to drive the Jeep up there and strap it down- forget a trailer and flat-towing! Turn the rest of it into a nice little camper with bigscreen, satellite, surround sound, waterbed- you know, the essentials [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i would like to modify a bus too! i have seen them. cut the back of the bus off and then cut the length you need off of the remaining cab and then just reattach the back end that houses the rear door. this will give you a back door and you can use the flat bed that is left as a deck when you are camped and that is where the jeep would be toted. the cool thing is you could also pull a trailer too so your buddy could come along and share the expense of the gas. you could do what ever you wanted to do to the inside by going to a rv store or buying a whole rv that doesn't run or something and stealing all the parts from it. sink, stove, a/c, the works. the only thing that turned me off was when i read about a guy that did this and he said he only got 5mpg out of the thing! i'm thinking about a slide-in for my cummins dodge now.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally, I am for MULTI purpose. Any of the motor home, bus or RV solutions - to me - is not "multi" enough. Granted the two purposes, towing and live in, would be good.
My solution:
A good heavy duty pick up with a camper shell or medium size slide in camper. With that setup you can store the camper part and have full use of the pick up all the time. A camper as well as a good tow veh.
A bus or RV will sit most of the time. Hard to use one as a truck, let alone a pick up.
A good question to answer is how often it will be used, I guess. If you plan to be on the road a lot, perhaps the RV is a better solution.
On the other hand, if you want to spend money AND have versatility, how 'bout a truck with a 14 foot flat bed body to haul the Jeep and pull an Airstream trailer? A good truck might be one of the small imported cab over diesels.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 03:13 PM
utahjeepr

Well, I have my ultimate tow rig sitting in the driveway, and soon will begin working on it to get it to that "ultimate" status. I chose an M-715 (with removable hard top) which will be getting a Cummins or an International 444 (Powerstroke) and I will be getting and/or building a slide in camper for the bed of it. Swap out the gears to 3.73's or possibly 4.11's or 3.54's. Already have an 18' flatbed for the CJ to ride on.

I am a "Sheetmetal Darwinist"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 04:14 PM

Hey guys in June I was at Sebasian Inlet State Rec.Area, on Florida's East Coast, and I saw the neatist rig, this guy had a CJ5 in the rear of a motorhome. The motorhome had started life as a 1950s Fruhoff, bus front and inclosed truck rear. The old gas motor had been replaced with a Detroit V6/53 Diesel,it was a heavy duty rig, like a two and half ton running gear, big tires on Dayton wheels, it had an all steel body with a roll up rear door and the CJ5 went inside the rear and the door rolled down behind it. The beds fold away when the CJ5 was on board. The owner said he raced motorcycles and towed a big trailer with the motorcycles and tools. I had driven over in my motorhome towing my Jeep and I loved the idea of not having to towing the Jeep just run it up inside.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 05:35 PM

The BlueBird school bus, bus front model, would be The Ulitmate Tow Rig, there is room for a lot of different motors and could be made into a 4x4.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 08:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I`ve seen a few of these up here and the Forestry ( and prisons , Power Co.) use these . They look like a half length Bluebird school bus ( front engine) and are 4 wheel drive and they sit WAY up in the air . Its looks like they have a 3 foot lift kit [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Perfect length for making a temp. home inside and could probably tow a fleet of CJ`s .

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode