A TR/DAVE/Anyone with advice question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A TR/DAVE/Anyone with advice question

I was just wondering if you had any books that you would recommend reading on ignition controls and things along those lines. I would also appreciate it if someone out there could suggest a good book that covers performance tuning mods on an Edelbrock. I hate, read that loath, feeling mentally inadequate when ya'll start talking about ignitions. They are one of the most important parts of the vehicle and I know nothing about them. I am pretty good with an Edelbrock but I would like to read something about them to maybe find some new ideas. I have been tossing around wether or not to have the top half, I think its the air bell, of my carb machined to have a dual inlet on the thing. I do not like looking in there and seeing one bowl lower than the other. It makes it look like something is clogged. Anyway, if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.
THANX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: A TR/DAVE/Anyone with advice question

Although TR has spoken rather elequoently about the comparative ineffectiveness of his parts I have found Dr. Chris Jacobs(of Jacobs Electronics)book to be quite informative about the theory & workings of automotive ignitions. I bought my copy mail-order at least five years ago I would assume that its available via Amazon.com or through the Jacobs website. He does reccomend his own parts for performance upgrades but the book as a whole is more informative than sale oriented.
Good luck

Only One Jeep left but its got a 4" Superlift and 33" BFG AT'S
Talk's! Cheap Join the NRA!
http://www.nrahq.org
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 05:12 PM

Chris Jacobs has a mechanical engineering degree...
I don't know why everyone keeps calling him 'Doctor'. I don't know anyone that can verify he has a doctorate in anything.
What does mechanical engineering have to do with electronics anyway...

Jacobs ignition put out a full length, booklet type infomercial a few years back, and called it an 'Instructional Text'.
It was full of half truths, folk lore, and outright lies, and advertised his stuff as being the latest and greatest at every turn.

Luckily, Jacobs ignition has been sold, and maybe there will be some truth in there advertising from here on...
I hope there is some customer service too...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not falling on you, I'm just upset that Jacobs got by with so much for so long...
It too a continuous stream of suckers buying his stuff (and getting ripped off) to keep them in business for so long...
---------------------------------

The best place you can start is Radio Shack.
Get a dictionary of electrical terminology, and look up,
'Electron Flow', particularly the electron/ holes theory...
'Induction' and 'Inductance', and pay particular attention to that...
And look up 'Power Switching Transistors'.

Your entire ignition system relies on the basic electrical principal of inductance, from the 'Hall Effect' trigger to the Ignition coil.

When the powers that be start talking about electron flow and tell you the 'Holes' theory is crap, think about the basic principal of physics...
'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction'....
It may help explain the electron flow a little better when the tobacco chewing bubbas give you a hard time...

If you want me to help you personally, I will.
This stuff isn't rocket science, (rockets go vertical, we go horizontal!!) or I wouldn't be able to do it!
But I'll be glad to help you with anything I can.

Believe it or not, high school text books on auto mechanics explain it better than almost anything I've seen.
They aren't very good, but they are better than most of the so called 'Tech' magazines.
Libraries have them for free, and sometimes they show up in used text book stores for cheap.

Good luck.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have yet to start any of my engineering classes. I appreciate the offer to help in any way. I have just seen so many posts on the web saying ATTN: TR that I knopw I would eventually get tired of answering the same questions over and over. It is not the persons falt for asking repeat questions b/c we can not know every time a post has been made and the search function on this BBS is tempermental and picky. I am trying to install a custom electrical system similar to CJ-Daves. I have read many of the posts ya'll had on the HEI upgrades, THANX for those. I was just running into a few problems with my wiring. I do not know the equations to use to figure out some of my questions. i am currently trying to figure out what kind of power I can run through my Dimmer switch. I will post that seperately. I will also call the local libraries and see if they have any highschool shop books to rent.
THANX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode