efi runs funny!?!?!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

efi runs funny!?!?!?

well i finally found an accelerator cable that was long enough today and i finally took the jeep for a ride and i have problems. let me say i am not very knowlegable about fuel injection. i have installed the efi off of a 89 ford f150 onto the 351w that i have been running in my jeep. when i crank it when it is cold (the motor not outside temp) it will run for just a second and then shut off. after i do this a couple of times it will start and then continue to run and it will idle fine once it starts running. well if i give the motor gas it will idle up as i accelerate but when i let off the pedal the rpm's stay high and gradually come down rater than dropping immediately after i let off the pedal. it is not the cable binding either. the last thing it is doing is when i get ready to take off i have to runn the rpms up pretty good or it will bogg down on me. i know that there is something wrong but i am not knowlegable on this efi and could use a little push in the right direction. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. i was planning on trying her out on the trails next weekend so i need to get this figured out. help!!!!!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 11:23 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: efi runs funny!?!?!?

It may just be a "learn" problem. Early EEV IV systems take almost 100 miles to learn properly. I would make sure that the base timing is set to 10 degrees btdc with the spout connector disconnected. As far as the slow times returning to idle, I think it is just a decell function built into the computer for emissions. Under rapid decell, there is a tendency for high manifold vacuum, and rich mixtures. Before Ford learned that all they had to do is just shut the injectors off, they programmed the iac to hang open for a while. How do you say? Nature of the beast? You will probably get used to it and not even notice it. You may also want to check and be sure that you wired the "keep alive memory" correct, so you don't loose your learn functions.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 12:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: efi runs funny!?!?!?

dorfs, thanks for the reply. i went out and double checked the keep alive power and it is good. i have it wired to the hot side of my solinoid. i have the timing set to 10 degrees and i had pulled the spout plug when i did it so that was already good. i did check something though and maybe you can shed some light on it for me. on the ford truck at the forward part of the pass side fender there is a box that i thought was the charcoal canister. am i right? well on the side of the plenum where the two holes for the butter flies are ( as you can tell i'm not too familliar with all the correct termanology yet) there was two vacume lines that came together at a "T" and then the hose ran to the box/canister on the truck. well i ran this hose to the canister on my jeep. i got to thinking and i got the jeep running and pulled that line from the canister and sure enough there is a vacume in it but only a slight suction was noticed. i then plugged the hose and and now it runs alittle better. i also went out and drove it some more and it seems to get better so i guess it is learning. i'm going to take it out today and drive it quite a bit to let it learn my motor. i can tell it is going to be hard to get used to the idle though. i'm just not used to the idle staying up for a second when i let off the gas. thanks again for your imput.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode