Needing moral support... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 06:42 PM
FlMudCJ

Needing moral support...

To spring over, or not to spring over... This is the question.

My springs have sagged to the point that with the new 36's, its time for some additional lift...
The 4" superlift SUA springs have sagged (and softened <G>) over the past few years, and I'm very happy with the ride, I mean I just started noticing some lean in the corners (and of course, no swaybar) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Options include swapping shackes with Alec78Cj for probably 1/4" of lift. New springs, or SOA with my current springs.
I have the torch and welder nessecary for the spring over, the garadge may be coming in a few months...

So, to spring over, or not to spring over.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Needing moral support...

Go for it .. you won't be unhappy with it, unless of course, you screw up .. then you can blame no-one but yourself, and you will be unhappy with yourself and ...

Or the other option is to take it to a shop that has done it. If they screw up, you can sue the pants off of them (or make them do it right <grin>)

BTW: This is supposed to be a mix of funny and serious .. but seriously, go for it, you are used to the height of 4" of lift, its time for a bit more, but your 36" tires will look small .. hmm .. 38.5"?

Which axles are you runnin'? Your sig does not say .. if its D44 axles its strong enuf .. if not, you might be takin' a chance ... anyway .. enuf outta me!

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ
IRC - Dal.net - #Jeepers
www.calgaryjeep.com
www.aurs.org
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in process of doing it right now (using own welder, angle finder, grinding tools, and lots of elbow grease).
The old springs will be used though (with additional add a leaf springs), I figure they're plenty flexy. Welding the perches is done and now I am painting the housings. Also thinking about putting single tube trusses for the 20. Putting Detroit on the rear and 4:10. Doubt it if I'll be finished by Dec.
I say, just do it but do it right!
I couldn't wait until it's done.

Dody
81 CJ7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
http://dodyjeephouse.homestead.com/jeepindody.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 07:59 PM
FlMudCJ

Yeah, I guess I did neglect the axles I have and the tires... I probably need to update my profile and sig.

I have a D44 front from a J-10, and a Ford 9" rear from a Lincon Mark V whaleboat. The jeep currently has a new set of 36X12.5X15 superswampers, nessitated by a thronbird liberating itself from the jeep while going down the road...

I figure using the sagged 4" springs SOA will be a huge increase, and will nessicate a rope ladder for each entryway... (already have a real slick way of doing that...) 38.5"'s are not nessecary... I already tested the 36's, and they're more than I'll need... well, maybe not more, but exactly what I need...

The rear will be simple to spring over, just new perches on top, and swinging the springs... the front, will need the cast section massively ground down to accept the spring... other than that, I think the thing is otherwise setup... I think the steering will be ok, it might need alittle help, and I think the tie-rod will go over the springs, if not, it'll go through them, which will need some massive re-work... in which case, I'll be getting new stiff arched SUA springs... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 09:35 PM
jeepfreak

Also dont forget that you will need longer driveshafts if you go SOA. Probably the CV style. But I can tell you it is worth every penny and amount of work that you put into it. especially if you reverse the shackles.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ

Confuscious said:
"The wise man takes the path of least resistance"
I say:
"Confucious didn't know jack about Jeeps"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 09:41 PM

i don't think you will get many votes for spring under, but i like SUA (i converted my ford dana 44 and dodge dana 60 from SOA to SUA when i swapped them in) now a few folks looked at me like i'm crazy, but i don't claim to be completely sane.

anyway, i turned my U-bolts upwards, moved up the lower shock mounts and got the steering way up. the idea was to clean up the under side and
use the springs to help protect, mainly the front drive shaft. i figure leaf springs can take a beating pretty well.
i'm also a big fan of keeping your center of gravity as low as you can. my drive train is lowered in the frame and i use a 2" body lift to help with tire fitting problems. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:29 PM
Old Hand

I have to agree with 3/4 ton on the SUA idea. In a bind on rocks is the last place you need to find out how poorly the axle is wrapping and grinding those yokes away. If you like the ride you have now, send a spring to National Spring and they can send you a set back with the arch (and length) you need plus nearly the same ride quality you have now. They have done great things for different vehicles I have owned - and the packs last.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

George, you have a welder, a torch, a grinder, me, alec, and i'm sure we can get Lee's garage for a 12 pack of whatever cheap beer he drinks....what else do you need to know? hahahaha...seeya at work in the morn!

mike

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whoops, almost forgot...

George, Springovers are from the Earth...they were put here for you and for me...to clear BIGGER mud tires...take adavantage!!!

mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:40 AM
FlMudCJ

Body lift is somewhat out of the question... If nothing else that means re-engineering the side steps... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I don't think I'm going SOA, the time commitment just isn't there... even if it won't take too long, my projects seem to have alot of un-forseen problems...

how expensive are national springs...? and who else makes the best springs that I can get for the lowest $$$... Just the springs, I obviously have everything else figured out... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode