Off Roading Forums banner

Who has a CV driveshaft?

423 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I just put on a CV drive shaft behind my T18 and dana 20. I changed the yoke on the back of the transfercase and now it's leaking.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? The yoke is an orginal spicer part that allows the use of a CV driveshaft. Any ideas?

Alec

G
#2 ·
Its not uncommon for this to happen. Assuming that both yokes we 'exactly' the same size diam, it is most likely an old seal. After about 10-15 years the rubber in them gets so old and hard that any disturbance in it, like changing yokes, cracks it, thus causing it to leak. As you already know, removing the yoke is easy. Replacing the seal is just one more simple step...provided your tail shaft is like my Dana 300.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G
#3 ·
Alec,
The only thing that I can think of is the new yoke has a smaller outside diameter than the original or you tore the seal when installing it. There's only one way to find out though. Take it apart again and check it out.

#4 ·
I did this same swap on my 78 CJ, with t18 and dana 20 and it leaked too. Simple deal to replace the output seal. Just pull the output yoke off pop out the old seal, and press in the new one. The new seal is the same part # as stock. These seals just get old and brittle after 20 years, and any movement or changes can cause a leak.

G
#6 ·
Don't forget to toss a little silicone on the splines. Lube can work it's way out between the shaft and the yoke thru the splines.

A new seal and a dab of silicone should take care of it.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.