Antenna Location - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Antenna Location

I have a 88JY with hard top, and I need ideas on the best place to mount a CB antenna, I go through a lot of low limbs and brush, so I need to keep it low. Any ideas? Thanks.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:30 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Antenna Location

What kind of antenna are you using ? You kind of want to look for a place that is a good ground plane . When I mount mine ( its a Wilson 1000 ) , it will be on top of the spare tire carrier bracket(in rear) . For performance that is about the best place . You wont get great reception off the back but it`s just one of those things. Make sure the carrier is grounded well , run a braided ground strap to the frame from it if not certain . Good Luck

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi jeepzilla, I have a Wilson 1000 4ft antenna, I like the idea of the antenna placement high, but here in FL where I 4wheel I go into a lot of thick brush and low limbs, so I don't know if the high antenna location would work for me.
Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Woodsrider, I use a 4' firestick mounted to my Canyon City tire rack. It
sticks up about 2' above the top and so far in 7 years of use on two Jeeps
I've never had a problem with it. I've gone through a lot of brush and it
even survived a 55mph roll-over on my previous Jeep.

Gary
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 12:52 PM

I use a 4' firestick on a ball mount off the right rear corner of the tub, just below the top of the tub. It gets out great to the front and left, but not so good to the right or the back - lack of ground plane as was explained. It's fine for trail use though. I also use a spring on the antenna between the ball mount and the antenna, so those branches and tree limbs will not wreck the antenna. I like the ball mount best, even though you have to drill into the jeep to mount it, because the wire is protected and you don't have to route it through the tailgate or anything.

Good luck
Pete
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...cgyer/jeep.htm

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I welded a cap on top of my spare tire stop and mounted the CB antenna to it. This has worked well but has very limited range. It does keep the antenna off the side of the Jeep and avoids damage when my Jeep wants to lie down. I recently added a HAM radio and mounted a small plate above the spare tire. This has worked out very well. If you are interested I've included a couple of pictures. Good luck.

Dan

http://home.earthlink.net/~wello/ant1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~wello/ant2.jpg

1980 CJ7, 304, 44s w/ Detroits F&R, 8274, 33s, RTI 1100
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

I got a bracket fron Leon Rosser's that lets you mount the antenna on the tire stop. It's a piece of stainess steel with a hole on each end and bent in the middle. One end bolts to the hole in the back face of the tire stop. The other end provides the horizontal surface for mounting the antenna. I think it was less than $5.

Origianly I ran the wire through the tail gate opening. Now I have it going through the gap under the tail light (filed a spot on the bottom of the tail light with a round file for extra clearence). From there I followed the wiring harness under the tail gate opening and up the other side into the tub, and continued following the wiring harness forward to the dash. I did cut and splice the cable to get it through the grommet where it enters the tube.

jerry

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

After reading all your replys, I am not going to worry about the antenna being 2ft or so above the hard top, if it is a problem, we will just go back to the drawing board. Thanks!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 08:05 PM

If you mount it to the top of the rear carrier it wont be that much above the roof line . You shouldn`t have any problems and the Wilson being the best ( hey , you know your antenna`s) it will work fine there. If concerned about getting out , get what H8Monday and I have , a "Texas Star" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode