Where to find a new roll bar, or just the bolts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where to find a new roll bar, or just the bolts

Well, I'm in the middle of replacing my 79 CJ-7 body and have run into my first problem. I can't get the roll bar out. I have the type A style bar that sits on top of the whell wells and is bolted to the wheel wells and the side of the tub. I can't get the majority of those @#$$%! torx head bolts out. I've broken several bits and used lots of break free stuff and can't budge them. This leads me to two options. 1. Cut the bolts out....Where can I find new bolts?...can I use other bolts this time instead of the torx?....Anyone know the size and grade it should use? Option two would be to buy a new roll bar but the only one I can find is the Kentrol double bar from 4wheel hardware. Anyone know of anymore out there? Or maybe where I can find a original bar? (I've already checked the junk yards, no dice)

Also any advice on removing the old tub would be greatly apreciated! (the only problem I have run into so far is the roll bar)

thanks
Jeff

P.S. If anyone is keeping up with the fires out here in the West. They just caught the person who set the 90,000 acre Jasper fire here in South Dakota. It was a 46 year old woman. Wierd huh?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 01:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Where to find a new roll bar, or just the bolts

Get a torch. Torches are like winches--everyone should own one! (or at least have a really good friend with one!)

mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 03:15 AM
cj7jeep

Jeff i can't help on the bolts, but i got a question for you. The tub i got for my rebuild uses that style of roll bar. Does the hoop lay back like the newer floor mount style CJ bars (80-91), or is it straight up and down? As far as removing the body, only thing i missed the first try was the 2 supports in the back, by the gas tank, that tie it to the frame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 03:42 AM
Old Hand

The roll bar you are looking for is currently for sale on eBay. It is off of a late 70's CJ7 and mounts to the top of the wheel well. Type Jeep Roll Bar

-raymo

If we're not supposed to eat animals, then why do they taste like meat?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah the roll bar is pretty much straight up and down. They actually used both bars in 79. I wish I had the one that extended to the floor but I can't find one anywhere. I guess the torch comes out today.

Jeff

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:20 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Why dont you try Collins Bros. and see what they want for a newer style roll bar . I would TRY to get the one that goes to the floor . If you need the url , let me know . On my tub I found the body bushing bolts just snapped off(from rust) and the tub came off somewhat easy . If you find a new style bar , leave that roll bar in there instead of busting your brains out right now . Deal with it later [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 04:41 PM

Get one out take it to a hardware store and match it up ...you may even be able to get stainless the rest I would just grind off the torx things pretty much $uck.much quicker than heating them up and still trying to unscrew them.and they will in all likleyhood need to be replaced anyhow.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

When I did my swap I used grade 8 bolts from the local homecenter to get rid of those torx bolts.

If you can't find the newer CJ roll bar, you can use a YJ bar. It will line up with the CJ bolt holes except for one behind each seat. I bought a bar from a totaled 92 YJ with the the four seatbelts for $80. You should be able to find a wrecked YJ by using http:// http://www.copartfinder.com/ .

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't use the stainless steel bolts, unless you doing it just for show. They are not strong enough!!! Use grade 8 , these are pretty dense and shouldn't rust as easily.

89YJ/LT1/NV4500/5.25"Lft
"Those damned replicants. Have u retired any today?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode