Rocker panel protection...follow up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rocker panel protection...follow up

I appreciate the comments and suggestions on my original post about the rocker panel skids I made. A couple of suggestions have now been incorporated...thanks. For the attachment I got rid of the hex bolts, found some really cool black round headed alloy allen bolts, no more chance of a hang up now. And as for that little bit of front fender behind the front wheel well in front of the rocker panel, I made a little extension of the protection out of 2x2 angle iron, fit like a glove. Gonna test it out Sunday, the entrance to the Secret Trail is a very tight V, you have to drag the rockers to get thru, I've always run the bypass before!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:49 PM

Re: Rocker panel protection...follow up

Very Cool,
A little rock generated pin striping, is the crowning touch to a well built set of rocker protectors.
The Secret Trail??? Thats too tempting, its like wanting to know what someone said when you can hear the whisper. I dont suppose your offering a map to that one?

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Secret Trail is a rather unique thing. The entrance is only about 50 yds off an oil road, but looking from the road all you see is a little 2 track heading thru the sagebrush to what looks like just an impassable jumble of huge rocks and a wall. Like I said, there is a very tight V to get thru, and as soon as you are thru you are greeted by acres of sandstone ledges and apparently unclimbable walls (we had a guy in a flattie go over backwards on one wall last year...he was warned!). The nice thing is virtually every obstacle has a bypass, but the catch is most of the bypasses require a lift, at least 33s and a rear locker!

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:33 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

At your leisure , could post a couple more pics ? I`d like to see the adjustments you`ve made. Thanks !!

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, here's the little extension for the front fender behind the wheelwell. Note the cool bolts, too. The extension of 2x2 1/4" thick angle iron fit perfect on the lip that runs around the wheel well. (I know, pic quality not too good, way expired polaroid film!)

Brad
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brad,
I don't want to rain on your parade, and for your sake I hope I am wrong, but looking at the pics, I still see a problem.
The area just behind the wheel, the area that I mentioned a while back, is still not suitably protected - IMHO.
When you come down on the back side (as seen from the driver's seat) of a big rock, the area that catches the Jeep is the corner of the rocker pannel just behind the front wheel. It appears that what you have done is add material to that area, but NOT the area that will bend if a lot of stress is applied to the point just behind the front wheel.
The reinforcement appear to be two different pieces - the area immediately behind the wheel being about 6 to 8 inches long. I fear that a sharp bend or tear will occur between the two pieces of reinforcement. They need to be connected, IMO, so that the force can be distributed all along the length of the angle iron. As it currently appears the entire force will be absorbed by the gap between the two sections of angle.
See if you can get some to the engineering gurus on this board involved.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

when i built my rocker guards from 3x3 angle i ran to from all the way in the front to all the way in the back. i cut the ends at angles so that they followed the line of the wheel openings. i had to clean them up and shape then alittle with a grinder but they turned out nice. i like having it run all the way up even over the raised section on the lower part of the fender. once everything is bolted down you can't even really notice it unless you are looking for it.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doug, that front section and the big rocker panel piece are going to be connected by a thick piece of metal underneath welded to hold them together, I'm taking care of that this week, it worked out that the part you see along the side is offset by exactly a quarter inch (the thickness of the lip), but the pieces running underneath the Jeep are right in line, I'm figuring a piece of square tubing or thick stock, going to let the welder decide. And I'm going to cut off the little piece of fender right in front of it. I think that ought to do it, what do you think. (You can't see it in the pic, but the two pieces are on separate body panels, front fender and body.)

Brad
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brian, what you said was my first thought when I was making them, but I just didn't like the way they lined up because of that darn front fender lip. Check out my solution and tell me what you think.

Brad
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

like i said once the angle is bolted down it comes alot closer than you would think. is your front piece of angle connected to the larger one? if not i could see the lower part of the fender folding with a good impact even with that on there. you might be able to weld it to the main piece and make up for the lip on the front fender. for most instances your setup should be just fine but it would be alot sturdier if it were all one piece or if you figure out a way to connect the two you are currently running. good luck.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode