FYRBALL MT'S New Ride - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FYRBALL MT\'S New Ride

Ray-

I don't remember you saying how much you wanted to give for the carcuss to build your new ride. I just know you want longer. I also know that there can be a wide difference in price for a comparable 4x4 from one area to another.

The other day I did have my tough in cheek about going to get the CJ6 in the wrecking yard in California. However, there may be some worth to the idea. If you could find the right deal on the frame and body, a trailer and a couple of days off may have some merit.

Just a Thought!
Kriss

What about a Scout II? (I don't know how long a Scout II is.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 02:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: FYRBALL MT\'S New Ride

The problem is I am cheap, I allready have over 7 grand tied up in a beat up CJ5 that I would be lucky to get 4 grand out of. I have more than that in parts that I can take off, and use on my next project. Scout II? I used a perfectly good Scout II just for the axles, didn't have a title, so I got it cheap. Have you ever weighed a Scout? neither have I, but I am sure it would be over 4000 pounds. My Jeep is just a touch over 3200 pounds, I am sure, I could get a FREE toyota, under 3500 pounds if I put it on a diet. As you see I stress Free, because I am a cheap B***d. A CJ6 would be awssome, but right now taking time off of work would be impossable. I took a Month off before I started my present job, spent 1 week of that in Moab, and then I spent a week in August getting sick in Cancun, caught some kind of flu bug before I left, but I still had one of the best weeks of my life. Work is Slowing down, But it is still the manager and I , holding down the fort. The stress is gone, still can't take time off to look at a Jeep in California.

Thanks, Ray

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 02:53 AM
cj7jeep

Ray was that the 3.2 flu you got down in Cancun. I seem to get that every once in awhile too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray-

I figured that California may be just a little far to go. I do hope that somebody has scooped up that CJ6 by now just to keep it from being destroyed.

I understand wanting to be cheap because I am the same way. Lets face it, this stuff cost money and there seems to be no end to it sometimes. You can never get your money back when you go to sell around here. When I am looking for a Jeep I try to find one with the most new goodies for the lowest price. Why not?

The guy I got my 78 CJ5 from spent $9,000 on upgrades (not counting the cost of the Jeep) during the 12 months before I bought it. (I have all of his receipts) I gave $3,500 for the Jeep. His problem was that his girl friend said that it was either the Jeep or her, but one of them was going. I suspect that the $9,000 worth of expenditures had something to do with the sale.

The point is that these kinds of deals do come around from time to time, whether it's a loaded out jeep for cheap or a carcuss for next to nothing that most of your already paid for parts will bolt to. Many of us on this BBS do not need new rigs, just upgrade or replacement parts for what we have. So, if we see a "deal" on something that may fit your need that is not to far from your home, I'm sure most would be glad to pass this info on to you if you were in a mind to travel for the right rig.

No arm twisting here Ray, just a thought.
Kriss

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 02:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I considered building my 94 GMC, doing a solid axle swap, until I started getting over 6 grand just in parts. I allready found a 77-79 ford D60 front end for a very good price, and was almost ready to have the seller send it to me, but them commen sense got a hold of me and I decided that a fullsize heavy vehicle wouldn't wheel as well as my lightweight Jeep. I honestly feel a very light vehicle on 39.5 inch tires would be almost a Snowmobile, on deep snow. We expermented with some 38 inch Mickey Thompson tires on a CJ7, It really worked well, and another member tried some 44 inch Mickey Thompsons on an early Bronco, just floated on top of the snow. I really don't know what I am going to do yet, I do know it will either be a Toyota, or I will lenthen my CJ5, and by next Winter I will run bigger tires then my current 35's.

Thanks, Ray

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray-

Keep us posted on your progress.

Kriss

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did a post on, What I would like to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode