Articulation - horrible - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Articulation - horrible

Ok I need some thoughts on how to get some great improvements on my articulation in my 78 CJ7.. I got 4inch Suspension Lift, Pro Comp Shocks, 35s, Homemade crap shackles that need to be replaced, nothing more.. What upgrades can I do to gain more articulation. Next weekend I am doing my urathane bodymount set in combination with 2in Body Lift.. What shackles, tweaking, homemade junk can I build/buy/break/find to get my Jeep over the bigger obstacles..

Thanks

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 01:44 PM
Matt M38A1

Re: Articulation - horrible

Did you take the bolt out of, or bend open your spring pack clamps

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Matt just pointed out the same advice articles on this web site cover. I found several great ideas with excellent how to do descriptions for the do it yourself shade tree mechanic in the tech pages. Pictures included! Give them a look. Lengthening the opening ability of the spring retainers (bolt or clip) is very cheap and effective. You can make them beefier at the same time. Different leafs can help too like using (flatter) YJ leaf springs. I'd stay away from those crazy pivot shakles though. The jury's not out on them yet and there's plenty of pros and cons being tossed around.

Tread lightly and stop to smell the roses - Traveler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forgot to mention shock length. It sounds like common sence but apparently plenty of mods forget that their new suspentions can articulate beyond the shock absorbers range of motion. Besides risking damage, your suspension will bottom out on that poor little metal rod (at full extension) before it's full range of motion and just hang in the breeze trying to put it's foot down.

Tread lightly and stop to smell the roses - Traveler
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 03:48 PM

Does yours have a front sway bar? If so, have you thought about disconects? That should give you quite a bit more movement in your front axles anyway.

'86 CJ-7, 258, T-176, Dana 44 w/TrueTrac, 4:11s, Weber, HEI, Borla header, Warn HS9500i
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 04:28 PM
Robert87yj

You could change the angle of the rear shocks to allow for more articulation. Search for pics of H8's rig. He has his set up well.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I totally agree with what everyone has said, I would just add driveshaft travel and dont cinch down your shackles too tight. Did you lengthen/shorten your shafts when you converted to the Dana20? I haven't ever lengthened my front shaft and it maxs out on its travel length way too soon. The shackles need some flex to them. Use lock nuts on them and leave them enough room to flex around some. I have the 4WD hardware ones with the three bolt design instead of the welded center piece. Someone mentioned a good cheap way to make those just the other day.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How old is your lift and what brand? I have the "dreaded" Pro-comp springs, took em a year or so of hard wheeling to break in. Now people are amazed at the articulation, a good X with no problem keeping all 4 on the ground. Maybe you just need to break those springs in.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 10:20 PM

Shain,
The drive line slip shafts shouldnt limit your travel, they will just pull out if they are extended past there limit,(done that a few times).
About all you can do is what has been mentioned. One of the most important being Brad's observation. Until the springs relax, you wont force them to do what they dont want to. The time line seems about right also, I probably had my Pro comps on for about a year before they started to cooperate. I was never able to get huge amounts of flex from the SUA, but it was very trail worthy.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff:
I'm sure your right on the driveshaft. Mine is pulling out tearing up that reaining cap looking thing...luckily it hasn't pulled out all the way. My shock length may be keeping it from coming all the way out...thats another thing on the neverending " list of sh*t to do." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode