shake when taking off - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

shake when taking off

I've got a nasty shake when i take off in my cj. I took off the rear driveshaft, and it doesn't do it as bad going forward, but still does it in reverse. In four wheel it shakes bad. If I slip the clutch in two wheel its not as noticable. I looked underneath it and the rear pinion torques up quite a bit but I don't think that is it. I also have a new transmission mount and torques stud. Any suggestions? ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: shake when taking off

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My guess is that the friction surface of your flywheel resembles the countryside in the area of Iowa that surrounds the farm we just bought......undulating in spots. That's usually what causes that. I've seen it so bad that it shook the dirt out from under the fenders of a big, Chrysler-powered Dodge truck tractor. On autopsy, the flywheel looked like a road map with the cracks and the highs and lows. I had to surface the heck out of the flywheel, and when I put the truck back together the driver/owner COULD NOT believe the difference that made. His clutch cover and clutch were junk also. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Thats what my chiltons said too. I hope so, I plan on replacing it all in the spring. I wonder how much abuse the flywheel will take before its past resurfacing? ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 09:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Quite a bit. The only risk is maintaining parallelism when you surface one which requires quite a bit of material removal. You must be perfectly parallel between the crank flange mating surface of the flywheel and the clutch surface. That's really the only real consideration.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode