Which MSD Ignition? (carparts.com coupon!) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Which MSD Ignition? (carparts.com coupon!)

Carparts.com has another of their 33% off coupons out, and I am looking at the MSD 6 ignition units. Carparts.com is a little vague, but I need to know if either that standard 6 or 6-Offroad ignitions will work with my Toyota 4 cylinder? I would ask this on the Toyota board, but there is more ignition knowledge here that I have seen [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I can get the standard 6A unit for $92 plus shipping, and the off road one for $151 plus shipping - is the off road one really worth it?

Also, is there anything else I would need to go with this - a coil? tach adapter? something else?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Found what else I need - but still have ????

Ok, I found out I need the tach adapter for the Toyota EFI motor, and will get the vibration resistant coil as well.

For the adapter, coil, and standard 6A ignition module, the cost is $140 plus shipping - a good deal?

I guess I am still worried whether I need the standard or the Off Road ignitio unit...

Also, these unit will work on just about anything? So if I don't install it on my Toyota, it could go on the Jeep, right?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Found what else I need - but still have ????

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yes, it can go on a Jeep. We chose the MSD 6A for our TR "enhanced" upgrade for our V8 AMC, but we too were torn between the off-road and the regular module. The OR is waterproof plus a lot of other plusses. See my post on the DUAL TR upgrade.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Found what else I need - but still have ????

How do ya get one of them coupons? I've been waiting for a deal on those units. Don't tell me you have to be an existing customer. . .

-nate

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Coupon

Here you go: [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1963005 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

33% off (up to $100 off)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Coupon

DRM, we run a 6A in our Toyota race truck, 4 cyl. with a Anti-Vib coil, but it is carburated, and really gives us horsepower, if you mount it inside the cab on the fire wall, you could save some money on the off-road model, the truck vibrates like crazy, but we have had no problems, the price is a screaming deal. Payed $135 just for box.

JAY 75 CJ-5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 05:32 AM

For what an MSD 6 series module brings to the table, $135 is a steal!!
There is just nothing like the MSD 6 series module anywhere for anything near the price...

The MSD 6A module is for anyone that does anything from everyday driving to serious racing.
The Off-Road is recommended if you like to play in the mud pits, go river fording Ect...
It has a completely sealed module body, and weather proof connectors.
It also has the 90's updated firing technology, and is (I didn't believe this was possible until I tested one) even more effective then the MSD normal 6 series modules.
It's in between a 6 series and a 7 series for spark energy output (clearly better than 'normal' the 6 series), but has a continuous spark at above 3,000 rpm for about 20 crank degrees.
That's right! I said CONTINUOUS, SUSTAINED SPARK FOR 20 CRANK DEGREES above 3,000 rpm....
That will make any 4 or 6 cylinder set up and take notice!

On a small block chevy V-8 that made 425 horse power baseline, the MSD Off-Road, (no other modifications) was worth another 36 horse power!!
Try that with ANYBODY else's product for $200!!

I personally don't know why anyone but hardcore races or deep water fording guys would need the Off-Road module, but it's one SLICK piece!

(This is all personal opinion, so please don't kick me for it!)

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uh-oh. I thought that the MSD 6A was water proof as well. The electronics are encased in epoxy, right. This could be a problem in the future for me. I do play in the water alot, when I manage to get out. Hasn't been a problem yet, but I can think of only one instance so far that I might have had a problem. It didn't, maybe that my answer right there. Then again I do have that AMC 360 in the garage. I could incorporate that TR dual at that time with a MSD OR, well see.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, etc. etc. etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 06:48 PM

MSD uses a silicone coating on their electronics to help move heat to the case so it can be dissipated.
The silicone also works to help keep moisture out of the circuits.
It's very moisture resistant, but not 'moisture proof'....

The logical thing to do is to mount the MSD box upright, so the one piece case makes an air bubble around the electronics.
A little shot of something like blue or clear RTV at the wiring grommets isn't a bad idea.
I've used mine around here, (we go 'mudding' a lot), for ten years with no problems.
It's been under water a half a dozen times in the back water at the river, and I've never had a problem one with it.

If you are going to ford rivers, mount the stupid box above the water line!!
It will go under for short periods, but if you stall or spend a long time in the water, you may have problems.
Also, people like to mount them edge ways, like on the firewall, then go deep fording...
That allows an easy escape for the otherwise trapped air bubble, and they will fill up then...
You may want to keep that in mind.

There is the Off Road module, and it is COMPLETELY moisture sealed. Even the wiring harness is weather sealed.

If you do something where you are in the water a lot, try the MARINE module. It's a 6 series module for marine applications, and it's completely epoxy resin sealed.
You can mount that sucker below the water line, and it wouldn't make any difference.
Figure out your application, and pick the unit you need. Believe me, they make one for you!!

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the input TR [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The price is definately right - I will be looking at about $155 for the coil, tach adapter (that alone would have been $25) and the 6A ignition unit... delivered [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

And the fact that if I don't feel it is needed on the Toyota, it will find a home under the hood of the Jeep - gotta love multiple use items [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode