Installing our DUAL TR ignition upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Installing our DUAL TR ignition upgrade

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] We just received our complete DUAL TR 304 AMC V8 ignition upgrade system from the research and development labs of TeamRush Racing. What we have here is a Jeep distributor which has been equipped with DUAL triggers and the Ford large-cap adapter. One trigger fires the stock Ford Duraspark module and an Accel 8140C can-type coil; the other trigger fires an MSD 6A module with an MSD TFI coil. The two coils connect to an MSD Coil Selector and the coil selector connects to the coil lead on the wide distributor cap. The distributor has been equipped with a vacuum purge system to reduce cross-firing from air ionization, and uses the wide top cap with the MSD threaded tie down and wire retainer system. This distributor has been further modified by the installation of an advance spring upgrade kit and has all new shaft and bottom drive gear. The dual ignition systems are totally redundant for extreme reliability and can be selected by a dash-mounted switch. We will have photos to post for you when the installation is farther along. Actually, TR has photos of the equipment that were taken before shipping for insurance purposes if you would like to see what it looks like. This is one shipment that I'm glad wasn't lost in transit, since it is a one-of-a-kind first-production ignition super-upgrade.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jeepchick and I certainly extend our thanks to the TR crew for the superb results of what was "just an idea" a few months ago.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] THANKS TR! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This is truly the "ultimate" in ignition enhancement AND extreme reliability.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Installing our DUAL TR ignition upgrade

Hey Dave, I also finally got around to installing the dual battery tray in the front of my CJ-7. THANX for the info that you mailed to me. I am currently trying to figure out where and how I am going to mount the new fuse panel that I got at the parts store. I was wondering if there was any way that you could help me figure out a mathematical way to calculate how many amps my accessories are going to produce. I calculated out how many watts I am going to be pulling with all the various off-road lights and what not and I cam up with 735 watts. I was thinking about running a 2 gauge power wire to the new fuse block straight from the batteries. My problem is that I am trying to figure out how many amps I am going to put through the new fuse block. Also, I bought a bunch of high quality relays like you said, will this alleviate some of the current that flows through the fuse block. I thought that relays merely took the energy and chanelled it to the object being powered without running it all through the toggle switch. If you would like some pics of the battery tray I can try to scan some. It is BEEFY. I used 1.25x.25 angle for the tray and 1"x.25" flat stock for the brackets. The hold down bracket is 1.25"x3/8". It weighs a lot but it is solid as a rock. I did alter a few things about the battery wiring diagram that you had sent me. I have a chevy engine and I did not need two solenoids. I temporarily wired the two batteries up as one so that I could rearrange the wires and all in my engine bay. Anyway, THANX for all the help. You will have to let us know more about this ignition upgrade. I am quite curious about it. Good Luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The formula for dc is watts= amps x voltage you have 12 volt system so divide 12 into your wattage and you get your current

There are 2 ways to learn your own mistakes and other peoples mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 03:30 PM

Dave,
What a great up grade.
Off road racers and airplanes have been running redundant ignition set ups for years, that has got to tell you something. I would sure like to see some pics. That sounds like something Id like to do to mine after the 5.0 swap.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As was mentioned, you divide watts by the voltage and as you can see, you have 61 amps of potential connected load. Because of space considerations, we ended up mounting the fuse blocks (we have two additional blocks in addition to the stock one)....over on the kick panel above the driver's left foot. we even had to make a swing-out arrangement to fit them both in there, but it is real nice. We don't have anywhere the load that you have, but we did add A/C and an extra heater, and a rear window defrost circuit and so forth....it does add up. You are correct...the relay feed DOES still have to go through the fuse block unless you are using independently fused relays. What we did on one of our blocks was use a "shoo-fly" to feed more current to the center bus to help with the load. We went from the big feeder pole with heavy guage wires(#10)....up one side of the fuse block......and connected to a pair of unused terminals....then popped in some 30 AMP fuses in the slots. Now, you see, the #10 wires are taking current off the end of the main feeder wire........where it bolts under the main bus feed terminal.......and from there they go to the previously unused terminals......through the fuses.....and onto the main bus. We intentionally ordered a longer, fuse block so we could add this enhancement. It is just like taking a garden hose .....connecting it to your front faucet.........then going around the back of your house and connecting to your rear faucet with an adapter......in order to help deliver the water when the in-house demand is too high for the size of the piping. You call that a "Shoo Fly".......an old railroad term for a track that by-passes the main line then ties back in, as in by-passing a train wreck to keep the main line open. I'm concerned that your batteries are tied together all the time. It sort of circumvents the idea of having an "accessory" battery that you can't accidentally run down.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I have the pictures in the e-mail section but I may have to have some instructions as to how they can be moved to this section. I'm hoping TR will notice this and post his shop pictures of the dual triggers, and the distributor standing up with it's new top end in place. The second trigger is so carefully installed that It's hard to tell anything was added to the distributor. AT LAST I can feel comfy with an electronic ignition. Lessee....it wuz in 1963 that we lost a race because the "new fangled" Mopar electronic ignition overheated, and well....that super-annoyed me, and made me not quite trust them. Like I never left home without a set of spares for my GM HEI systems and yes, I DID install a few replacement parts with my butt hanging out into the traffic. Not all that many, but some.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I have this TR setup here on the counter in the office and I can hardly take my eyes off it. What a setup! It's like having those two mags on the Lycoming![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 05:37 PM

Im curious about het vacum purge to prevent Ion atomization Dave.
does a negative pressure in there hamper its moisture tolerence?

where is sucking its fresh air from?, another line and filter?

hmm, gimme a littel description of the plumbing and fitting of hte cap ( drill and nipple?)

thanks!

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The large cap has a small vent in it already as manufactured. TR installed a restricted vacuum nipple on the FLOOR of the distributor housing. We will connect to the side outlet in the PCV valve for constant vacuum and look for some sort of inlet filter to attach to the hooded cap vent, OR we can go to the inside cavity of the air cleaner and get the air from there. In the winter that air would be heated by the manifold heat sleeve, so it could conceiveably have a bit less moisture. Here in CA we have VERY drippy, wet winter mornings at the low, foggy elevations, and ignitions get wet even under the hood. That fog gets everywhere.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:16 PM

CJ-Dave- E-mail me the pictures at [email protected] and I'll put them on the net and then on this board for every to see.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] OK.....I'll try those photos and see what happens![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There.....I sent the e-mails and I hope you can somehow separate out the photos from the miscellaneous text. Thanks for your help on this! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode