Is this the correct 8.8 rear for my YJ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Is this the correct 8.8 rear for my YJ???

Hi all,
Got a line on a 1997 Explorer 8.8 rear, 4.10s and a trac-lok posi (that's what the ad says). Anyone got any good info on this swap - are there any years for this rearend that are weaker, etc, that I would want to stay away from? Can I put a lock-right in the trac-lok? Is this a poor choice because of the trac-lok? I see most of these advertised with 3.73s, so the 4.10s would match my existing front, and my rims for the bolt pattern, and it seems like a good price in my area.

Thanks for the help!!
Pete (still milking the dana35 rear with 33s BFG MTs)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:37 AM

Re: Is this the correct 8.8 rear for my YJ???

Thats the one you want. It is a great axle swap. Disc brakes, very beefy axle shafts, pinion etc. and the Disc brake system will retain the bearings and axle shaft in the event of an fracture, thus eliminating the main problem of a c clip designed axle. Very good find. If you dont end up deciding to buy it let me know. I have a few freinds that would jump all over that axle.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:37 AM

That's the one you want. The weaker ones are 95 and older without the disc brakes. As for a locker, you'll need to buy an open carrier before you can put a lock rite in there.
I'd buy it if I were you.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 without "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:42 AM
Veteran

If it's a good price you better jump on it!!!

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What's a good price on an Explorer 8.8?

Passed on getting one yesterday for $350 since we didn't know the going rate, and would have been a tight fit in the truck(sand blasting cabinets can take up most of a truck bed!) That, and my brother and I only have CJ's with D44 in the back already

The yoke on it was weird though, had like a flat plate coming out of it, not like what I'm used to seeing on a CJ axle?

Anyway, It was an Explorer axle with 3.73, tracloc, claimed less than 1000 miles (didn't look like it was that new though).
For sale at Fall Carlisle. (couple rows over from Gate 3, maybe 5 vendor from the end of the row)
Tagged price was $375, said he'd take $350......so if anyone wants it and is close to Carlisle, PA.....may be worth seeing if its still there.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:18 PM

Hey Pete,
If that one falls through, I was at a wrecking yard a few weeks ago that had a bunch of late model explorer 8.8's. Some had disks some had drums. I didn't ask about a price since I didn't need one. Can't remember the name of the yard but I have it at home. If you need it let me know.

'79 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:33 PM

The flange mount yokes(flat plate) are awsome. If you decide to got to different size U joints you just get the different Spicer yoke and bolt it to the flange. You dont have to ever mess with the pinion nut to replace a yoke. And the Spicer yokes are very tough, I wrapped a spring pack a a while back and binded the the pinion yoke and rear drive shaft yoke, it disinegrated a brand new 1310 Spicer U joint, but barely scratched the Yoke. That would have blown apart my old D35 Yoke. The F8.8 with discs are going for about 425 and up. It is becoming a very popular swap out here in the west,as Jeep owners are finding out just how tough theses 31 spline axles are, and the prices are getting ridiculus in some areas. I would stick with the 95s or newer with the disc brakes.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Whoa, you guys rule! Thanks for all the help!! It was late last night when I was thumbing through the parts advertiser, but I think it was listed for $350. I figured with the 4.10 already in it, that's good $ I'd save not having to buy and install them over the 3.73s. I saw other explorer axles listed for $400 I think it was.

I'll have to give the guy a call.

Thanks agian!!!!!
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 12:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Hey....where abouts are those other 8.8 axles listed for $400? Let me know...

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode