D44 center axel disconnect - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 02:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

D44 center axel disconnect

I was thinking about my waggie D44 and was considering my options. This is the D44 version with the vacume center axel disconect and no manual hubs.

I could put manual hubs on and weld the center axel disconect closed inside the axel tube. I believe that someone has done this, but I have to question its durability. The heat from the weld has to have some effect on the axel shaft. Also you would have a trail breakdown(although could be trail fixed) if the weld broke and slide open.

The second option would be to again put on manual hubs, but I would purchace new non vacume disconnect side axle shaft. I was thinking that maybe the axel shaft from a salvage yard waggie with no vacume disconnect. Or I could get a new one from Mossier, Warn, etc. This is the most expencsive option.

The third is interesting to me. I was thinking of keeping the center axel disconect, and modifing one of the Rock Lock for the D30 to use on this axel. Don't know if this can be done, haven't heard of anyone doing it. I know, I'm lazy, but I don't like getting out in the middle of the winter in the middle of a beaver pond to lock my hubs. I will do it if I had to, but not because I want to. Summer is a different story. I find that it is so dry here in summer that winter is when I get to do some mudding.

I do have an ARB to go in the front. Any thoughts. Any thing that I forgot? Any thing that I didn't get right? Thanks for the help.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, etc. etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: D44 center axel disconnect

i'm not positive but i think the shaft will be the same length as one of the non disconect axles. if you have it apart and give me a length i have a late 70's model front torn down in the garage and i can measure it to see if it matches. i know the pumkin is on the differnt side but i think the shafts are the same length.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is what I was thinking. Use that axel, shouldn't matter which side that pumpkin was on. Just need the right length shaft.

Does anybody have any opinions on the rock lock conversion? Who has bought one? How did the actual rock lock perform?

Jason

----------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jason,
What year is your differential? I've got one of the vaccuum disconnect axles also...with the vaccuum assembly protruding from the diff. cover. I was thinking along the same lines as you about putting in the manual hubs and regular 1 piece shafts...read an article about the diff. tubes not being machined for a seal where they attach to the pumpkin so the tubes were still flooded with gear oil. Not that this would matter much...You'd probaly just have to remove the two short shafts and collar and slide the other in. Or is this too simple????

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 05:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That was my thinking as well. Mine is out of a '84 Grand Waggie. Does anyone know about the rock lock idea?

Jason

----------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode