Opinions on Warn and Moser alloy axles. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Opinions on Warn and Moser alloy axles.

I am considering buying some Warn or Moser alloy axle shafts for my front Dana 44. Does anyone have experience running these axles? The Warn are about $100 less than the Mosers. Moser claims their axles are 20-30% stronger than stock and Warn claims about the same. Neither has much of a warranty anymore to speak of so that isn't much of a deciding factor. Moser will not disclose what alloy they use to build the shafts and Warn uses a 4340 chromoly (I think). Moser uses its own casting and has a MUCH larger than stock yoke which is primarily (as most of us are aware) where the breakage occurs. Since the Warn's are made of the special chromoly though supposedly they don't distort the yoke as easily as a stock axle would if/when a ujoint lets go either.

So, I guess the question is, which brand have you guys found to hold up best. Has anyone here run both? My question at this point is: why doesn't Warn wake up and smell the coffee? If their axles are 20-30% stronger than stock, being the same size as stock, why don't they bump up the yoke size to close to that of the Moser's and thereby really increase the strength enough that blowing a ujoint would only destroy the ujoint and not the yoke (albeit, some breakage will take out a yoke regardless)? I realize that the yoke is rarely damaged now with Warn's shafts when a ujoint lets go, but doesn't it seem to make sense to not only use chromoly but to also increase the yoke's size? What do you guys think? Should I try to start some sort of email campaign to Warn to see if they might be interested in improving their products, or are you guys even interested in something like this?
Thanks,
Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:15 AM

Re: Opinions on Warn and Moser alloy axles.

Sean,
I ran the wan high strength outers on my D30 for about 2 years. I broke at least 10 U joints while running the Warns and never once broke a yoke. before I ran the warns I broke 2 U joints and both times they took the yokes out with them. I did however break a warn axle shaft at the inner spline on one occasion, and at the time they were very good about honoring their warranty(even 2nd day delivered it, for no extra charge, so i could have it for a run). I am currently running moser high strength axle shafts in the Ford 8.8 rear, no breakage yet. I was planning on using Moser for my D44 fronts eventualy. But I would use Warn also if they are available for my axles.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Should Warn make stronger alloy axles??

Thanks for the info. What do you think of Warn making their alloy axles with the larger size(Moser size) yoke? Would this be something you'd want in your axles? I'm just trying to get a gauge for whether or not there would even be enough interest for Warn (or Moser for that matter) to start building these axles. On the Toyota page some time ago, we started an email campaign to Warn about their birfield eliminator kit and it proved to be pretty productive. I think this situation (trying to improve an existing product) would also prove beneficial for both Warn and 4wheelers if it came to pass. Opinions anyone?
Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sean, i run the warn shafts in my scout dana 44 but i have had no problems with breakage yet. i havn't even broken a u-joint since i installed them so i can't help there either. when you talk about bigger yokes i can't see how they can get any bigger. if they get any bigger then the yokes would come together when the front end was steered one way or the other and i can see having trouble fitting them through the hole in the knuckle when installing them. i may be way off from what you are asking but if i understand what you are saying then these are the problems i foresee.

also what is warn's policy on the shafts if i break one now? the main reason i bought these was because of the warranty. i thought it would be worth the cash so if and when i break one i can send it in and get another. what are they doing now?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:43 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

From what I have heard recently, Warn is either stopping or has stopped making and selling their HD shafts and Lift Kits. Supposedly the new owners of Warn don't see the profitability of such items, and they are being dropped...

Just something to consider [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

high5,
Have you ever seen the Moser alloy axles for Dana 44s? If not, they are MUCH bigger than the Warn or a stock shaft. They do fit inside the knuckle but it is an extreeeeemely tight fit. The yoke only has about 50 thousandths of play when you put it through the knuckle.

DRM may be onto something. From what I understand Warn has gotten out of CUSTOM axle lengths for the full floater rears and only offers limited custom lengths for front axle applications. As for the warranty, I believe that after April 1, 2000 all alloy axles sold on or after that date no longer carried the lifetime warranty and that any axle bought after that point was only a limited one year warranty. As to whether or not Warn will continue making alloy axles, I think they still plan to but on a much smaller scale i.e., no custom lengths. I guess I'll need to contact Warn in the next few days and get the rest of the info. If others are interested, I'll post what I find here.
Thanks,
Sean

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Warn\'s warranty

I placed a call to Warn today. There are no plans to discontinue the heavy duty alloy axles. Warn is not making custom length axles any longer unless they are Dana 60s. The warranty is a limited 1 year warranty on alloy axles.
Sean

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warn is no longer builing any custom axles, but are offering blanks that can be cut and splined to length. The warranty is limited lifetime, but excludes yoke damage.

Dan
<font color=blue> "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing. "
-- AlbertEinstein
</font color=blue>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:14 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey... now that is an idea - you get the HD yoke design, and you just have the shafts cut/splined for your application elsewhere (Moser?)... not bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan,
Let me see if I understand correctly, b/c when I called Warn I talked to a female who told me what I posted earlier. One thing she didn't mention was about custom lengths for Dana 60 axles. I took that from the 2000 Warn catalog-unfortunately for you D60 owners that doesn't look like it'll pan out[sad].

Warn's warranty on alloy axles is NOT a limited 1 year, it is limited lifetime but excludes yokes. So in other words, if a Warn alloy axle breaks at the splines, it would (most likely -I don't know what the "limited" part of the lifetime warranty is) be replaced under warranty. However, if the alloy axle broke at the yoke, it would not be covered under warranty. Is this correct?

Do you think there might be any chance of Warn building a bigger yoke; say something similar in size to the Moser's? Pleeeeease[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]????
Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode