Anyone with a winch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone with a winch

I'm still in the process of designing my front and rear bumpers, I've decided to make the front bumper accept a winch but am unsure how to do so. I don't know anyone who has a winch on a YJ that I can look at.. Where does a winch plate bolt on? Are all winches bolted on the same. Where can I find a close up view of one? I was thinking about a WARN 8000 or 9000 lbs. I don't want to end up pulling my front bumper off. Anyway I want to finish my design soon but won't be able to buy a winch for a while so I need some help. Just want the mesaurements and details of a standard winch plate.

91 YJ Islander
http://www.geocities.com/tbaker2000_ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone with a winch

I believe that nearly all jeep size (read: 6-12000#'s) warn, ramsey, and superwinches share a common bolt pattern. Exceptions to that rule that I know of for sure would be ramsey and superwinch's worm drives. I can't help you with a closeup view of a YJ winch plate, or of any factory plate, but I just finished my winch mount, and I can share some thoughts with you. My winch mount was designed by myself and by a guy who built a tow truck for a local trucking company. First off, you'll have to attach it directly to the frame somehow...If you're custom building the thing, I'd tie the bumper and the winch into the frame. On mine, I made a heavy duty tube bumper...on the front are some nice big clevises for...uhh..pulling other vehicles out. On the back are two pieces of channel, 1/4"thick and sized to fit inside the front framerails. That goes back about 6" inside the front frame. On the outside, I used some heavy duty angle iron, cut to fit across the top and outside of the frame rail. That goes back just over a foot...Then, I bolted through the outer angle, through the frame, into the inner channel, both on the side, and on the top. (Incidentally, the steering box brace also bolts to the channel/angle iron on the right side) Because the bumper is so well attached, I made my winch mount in 2 pieces...the rear crossmember of the winch mount is a piece of 2x2 3/8" angle iron that attaches to the outside angle iron on either side...welded to it is a piece of 6" wide channel (needed for my application because of the worm drive winch I'm using) cut down so that the winch just clears the crossmember on the front of the jeep. The front of the winch mounts to a similarly cut down piece of channel, and then I made some angle irons that bolt to both the front and rear mounts to add stiffness. I bolted those on instead of welding because of one of CJDave's ideas from long ago. We want a really tough mount that can hold our winch, but we don't want to make any "captive" parts. I can remove the winch, the welded together outer crossmember/angle iron, the stiffeners between rear and front mounts, and the front bumper for access to ______(front suspension, steering, etc.) by unbolting, instead of by torching. Say, I just happened to think, here are some pics of a standard winch mount on a CJ...should be pretty similiar to a YJ...
http://www.off-road.com/jeepster/winch/winch.htm

Depending on what kind of winch you want, you can call the manufacturer and get the specs for the mounting holes...Like I said, though, I'm pretty sure that they are standardized. If you're thinking about a WARN and no one here can help (someone probably has one they can just measure for you) go to warn's website (http://www.warn.com) and e-mail them the question.

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:26 PM
joeybcdt

This is one item I chose not to skimp on. For me, there are just too many safety issues involved. I bought the winch mounting plate from Warn. It bolts directy to the frame, not the bumper.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warn's catalog shows a common mounting plate for nearly all of their winches...so I'm now sure that, at the very least, the warn line shares a common bolt pattern.

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont know if this will help in the future but here it is. I purchased a Ramsey 9000 platinum. I couldnt find a ramsey plate so I ordered the Warn kit. It fit perfect. Moral of the story: The "tradional" looking winches have the same bolt patterns. Dont know if this helps but it might. Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,Tomkin tire combo,etc,etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:32 PM
joeybcdt

All Warn's 8000 and 9000lb winches use the same mounting plate(it is different for different vehicles.), except one. The 8274. All use the same roller fairlead. They all usually mount from the front 2 bolts. Except the 8274. It mounts from 4 front bolts but shares the same roller fairlead. I have an 8274. I can't get the damn thing back together again! Driving me knutttts.

Joey

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JerseyWheeler pointed me in the direction of this site.

Take a look at www.DSIWARN.com I have ordered parts through them and they have an exploded view of the winches. Maybe
that would help.

Randy

The happiest people don't have the best of everything
They just make the best of everything
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know this isn't the greatest pic, but it may give you some idea on how the channel mount goes, I originally used this pic for the tow hook mounting idea.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-225612-towhook.jpg (42.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode