Belvue Winch ?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Belvue Winch ?\'s

I've got a chance to buy a 6000 lb Belvue winch at a pretty fair price (I think). I can't find any info on the web on this thing. Does anyone out there want to share an opinion or experience with this product? Are they made anymore, parts avail., etc? Any help appreciated.

76 CJ5 258 w/Clifford/Holley/HEI, 2.5"Lift/Rancho 9000s,T-177/Dana300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:00 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Belvue Winch ?\'s

Are you sure it is a 6000 lb winch? I was pretty sure they were 8000 winches.

Does it look like a Warn 8274? More specifically, does it look like this?

From what I have gathered, the Belvue stype winch was the original version of the Warn 8274 - and this was confirmed when I talked to Warn. Unfortunately they said they no longer make parts for it, but we (a friend owns the one in the pic) have found that the bearings can be sourced at any bearing house, the motor is a common part, and the rest of the winch is easily servicable. The Warn rep I talked to said that although they do not carry parts listed for these winches, this does not mean that you could not cross reference parts and find ways to use parts they do still offer.

If you need it, I have a photo copied parts breakdown and manual for the one pictured above and I would be more than happy to copy the pages and mail them to you [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What price did you find it for?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Many thanks for the helpful reply. I'll let you know what I paid for it if the deal flys. I would love copies of the info you mentioned, and again THANK YOU! My regular email is [email protected]. Have a great day!

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 6000 was the little brother to the Model 8000. It is basically the same other than the gear ratio. A good source for resto parts is John at Four Wheel Drive Center of Minnesota 1-800-328-4445. He actually is building some parts (levers, brake bands, etc..) so you may want to give him a call.

Dan
<font color=blue> "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing. "
-- AlbertEinstein
</font color=blue>

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also recently got a Belleview winch. If possible, could you send me a copy of the info as well. I can put it on my web page so you would not have to send it again.

John Bouliane

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 02:16 AM

Hey, I have one of those!

Thanks for the picture DRM, I was excited to see the first picture of my winch on net [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. The guy I got my winch from said it was made in 1974. I even have the factory manual for it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I got it for a song ($100 with a bumper) but boy it it a heavy beast. Do you or anybody else reading this post know any general information about the Warn winch in the picture because I shure don't? How does it compare to modern Warn winches in speed and pull power? I feel kinda bad using this old winch, like I should take it off and put it on a shelf for preservation.

thanks,

<font color=red>Chad</font color=red>
[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/liveaxle85/...l?969746689620
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 06:56 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hey, I have one of those!

One of the other characteristics of this winch is that there are no solenoids - the winch was cable operated to engage it. Also, the old winches like this had a case grouded motor - so you only could pull IN, and could not power OUT the winch. We are trying to find out if the motor can be swapped out for one like on the newer 8274's - anyone know?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 06:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am going to go look at a winch that is either a belvue or a 8274. If you could send me the info on the Belvue, just in case that is what it is, I would apprectate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode