Pic of springover CJ with CJ springs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pic of springover CJ with CJ springs?

I know I posted a question before if anyone had done this (you have), but I'd like to see a pic before I commit to the job. I've got a big jeeper trip coming up next summer, and am considering doing a springover with the stock CJ springs, instead of doing the Wrangler swap. Because the CJ springs are more arched, I'm wondering how much more lift they will give. I've got 32's and 3.55's right now, and budget doesn't permit new tires or gears...so while tire clearance is an issue with the current add-a-leaf suspension (done by previous owner, thank you very much...), it won't be with a 4"lift or with a spring over...right now, though, a spring over looks much cheaper. So I'd like to see a pic, if possible.
Thanks,
Deano

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pic of springover CJ with CJ springs?

Hey Farmjeep
I have done this ,its a lot of work but its worth it.
I run 33" Baja Claws and I could have put 34" on
I used a 3x4 box tubing to make my spring purches
& a drill press. The only thing that I had to buy from the
store was a 4" drop pitman arm.& NO TIRE RUB.
May I suggest a front shackle reverse at the same time.
Its a big difference in steet wandering.
Good Luck.
Mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You just used a drop pitman arm? No overspring steering conversion? So the tie rod is below the springs then, eh?

Did you keep the stock driveshafts? Did you have to lengthen them? You had to buy new u-bolts and brake lines, right?

You don't happen to have any pics, do ya?

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 05:21 PM

Re: Lotsa pics

Here's a few older shots of my buddy Mike's 'Feep' which is an 80's CJ-5, SOA with CJ springs, Scout Dana 44's (front outboarded springs...I think he's doing a 9" rear right now), 302, T-18a, I think those are 35" BFG's that he had just put on for the weekend. This is an Iowa farmer's Jeep that has done just about every hardcore trail west of the Mississippi.

Here's a newer one of him on Die Trying:

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 05:49 PM

There isnt even much debate anymore that the SOA suspension is one of the best performing suspensions off road these days. But although you can get your set up complete and back on the road for a reasonable amount of cash. To finnaly dial in the complete set up to perform for what it is capable, requires a lot of other modifications. To complete the lift and get it back on the trail will require, new spring perches, longer brake lines, drop down pitman arm, new U bolts, and at least helper springs on the back to control spring wrap. To get the suspension to work like it is fully capable, you will need to modify the lower front shock mounts, extend the front shock towers. The rear shocks will need to be modified to accept long travel shocks compressed and extended to their limits throughout the range of axle travel(that means extended up through the bed or laid on an angle). New long travel slip splined drive lines will be needed front and rear. Steering needs to be addressed with either a cross over steering set up or a complete high knuckle steering configuration. your final lift hieght will be determined by what type of springs you front and rear, and axle wrap needs to be addressed using a traction bar or custom spring pack. I would also suggest using a shackle reversal with this set up. You can easily run the cost up to $2000., when its all said and done. But when its complete youll have one awsome set up with, with very good side control, flex, steering and traction characteristics.
Jeepskates buddies CJ is looking very good throughout those pics, interms of controled lean, tire contact, and weight distribution. Thats the kind of results youll get if done propperly. Here is a pic of the YJ

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-224811-rockerpanel.JPG (37.3 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 05:58 PM

Here is a picture of the kinds of travel you can achieve when set up propperly. In this pic the suspension is not nearly maxed to its limit. The rear has well over 20" of travel, yet is very stable.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-224818-spiritworld.JPG (52.1 KB, 3 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Deano
H8 Has covered it. The only thing is pinion angle. When I did mine, I swap in Scout axles.It worked out to be something like Pinion angle 12 degrees. Spring purches 7 Degrees. Front yokes moved back 14 degrees .I thing hard to remember .
Good Luck. PS. cost 3000 CDN. Thats everything even the machine work & Axles.
Later Mike

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

jeff summed it up.. if you do most of the work.. you can cut the cost alot... but you still need somethings to really get the job done.. like shocks.. driveshafts.. etc..

have some pics on my website.. we put cj 4" lift springs under a tj frame.. with a soa.. and a shackle reversal..
am about to do a soa, shackle reversal on a cj5.. using his stock springs..
also just did a soa, shackle reversal on my yj frame and yj springs..
email me with any questions..
we've shorten a scout d44 for the tj one.. rotated the knuckles and all.. we did about 99.9 % of the work.. set up the gears.. and all.. all we did was bring in our expert welder for the tricky stuff.. but it cost us next to nothing..
right now the cj5.. he bought front rear d44's from a scout.. for 200 bucks for both.. another 50 bucks in steel.. and thats about it.. of course he is buying lockers.. and install kits.. but you can do this fairly cheap.. if you dont mind getting your knuckles busted.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

hey there H8... i still have an old cj grille sitting in the backyard.. i looked at it.. and it says jeff all over it.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].. give you that last upgrade.. hehehe..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:36 PM

Hahahaha, Jeepgod, very funny.
I dont know though, you keep on adding all of that Yj springs and YJ frames and YJ tub, man Im gonna have to give you my square head lights when I swap to the rounds.
I sure do wish I could get out to Telico with all of you Jarheads. Hope you have a good trip. To bad your not out West yet, I need to hire a new Labor Foreman, pronto, and have not been impressed with anyone Ive interviewed yet. The pay is good but the boss is a #@%&*@.
Anyway clean up that grill Ill be ready to swap about the same time your ready to go square!!! Hey all the other CJs will pick on you, but I wont say a thing,..I promise. Hehehehe
Later,

Jeff
89 Wrangler
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:37 PM

Gee-
(With tongue in cheek) all I can say is it's really too bad you Easterners have to pile up rocks or go out of your way to find something to climb ...
Come to the 4-Corners sometime ...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode