T5 trans from a 84 CJ in a 86 yj? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

T5 trans from a 84 CJ in a 86 yj?

Would a T5 from my 84 CJ7 bolt to the 6cyl 86 yJ? And is there an adapter to the yj tcases? Thanks.

Chevy - built like a ROCK.
Jeep - built to drive OVER rocks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: T5 trans from a 84 CJ in a 86 yj?

I didn't think they started making YJ's until 87....

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I heard somewhere that there was an 86 1/2 YJ but was eventually called an 87. I think half way through the year the YJ was released very limited. Anyway I'd check the serial #, I'd say you got an 87. I could be wrong I just remember hearing it at some point. As for the T5, WHY? There's nothing good about that tranny, I'm pretty sure it won't bolt up either. I'd look for a YJ trans.

91 YJ Islander
http://www.geocities.com/tbaker2000_ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are talking about a world class T-5 it marginally might be worth it,if you are talking about a jeep T-5 save yourself a lot of trouble and problems and find a differant tranny.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will he be able to use a 90+ model tranny in his 87? Or will that be too much trouble?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The AX15 would be the best solution for the early YJ. The CJ T-5 should work if you change the input gear in the 207 T-case to one made for a TF998 automatic, use the bellhousing and clutch release fork from the CJ, and replace the YJ slave with one for a right hand drive CJ (Export model). If strength is needed, the cheapest solution would be to convert it to an automatic. You can get one from an Eagle 4X4 car, a CJ, or a Grand Wagoneer at most self serve wreckers for well under $100. Use a Pinto, Eagle or Mustang floor shifter ($10). Add a trans cooler and your ready to go.

P.S. I saw my first YJ while I was in Tank School, Ft. Knox, KY. April '86. It was sold as an '87 model. '86 CJs were discontinued very early in '86, making them rare. '86 built YJs usually have plastic valve covers. Later '87s come with aluminum ones.
There are no "'96" TJs either, they were all sold as '97 models, too! The '95 YJs were built until Dec '95, The last ones sporting the aluminum tailgate hinges and rubber windshield supports on the hood that the TJs come with.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 01:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-8,

How hard would it be to adabt the wagoneer automatic to the 258? Also could you use the transfer case that is out of the wagoneer or do they have a passanger side drop?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 02:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The '80+ wagoneers all have Chrysler automatics, all will fit the 258s, if you use a 258 flexplate appropriate for your starter. (the split is around '87, earier use the familiar Ford type, later use a gear reduction Mitsubishi).

Most Wagoneers and J series trucks use the 727, some had the 998. V8 pattern is exactly the same as the sixes. Both will fit the YJ, if the YJ t-case has the 23 spline, automatic type input gear. The Wagoneer t-case is usually a NP229. This unit has the drive on the drivers' side and is very HD compared to a NP231 or NP207. It should fit the YJ but it may need slight mods to work, like custom linkage, vacuum lines and a switch, etc. One advantage is it has yoke bolted to the rear output shaft, much stronger than the slip yoke in the 231. It also has a full time range for 4wd high, allowing use on the street in the rain. It locks in 4wd low.

The 727 will fit the 231/207 if you use the shift bracket for the 998, the proper 998 type input gear in the t-case, even the column shifter and kickdown linkage will fit perfectly. The flexplate is drilled for either a large or small converter, the small one is stock on 258s. The overall length is 1/4" shorter than the 998! Approx. 22.5" from bellhousing to extension housing! The stock YJ 998 automatic trans mount and bracket will bolt right onto the 727, and end up in the same spot on the skidplate. Factory automatic trans length driveshafts won't need changing, either. All in all, a perfect bolt in into a YJ 258 or AMC V8 swap. It won't work with the 4.0L, unless you install one of the aftermarket modified dampner/crank sensor kits, as there is no cut out for the sensor in the 727s.

The 727 will also fit the CJ and it's Dana 300 T-case, but the front driveshaft will interfere with the bumpout on the pass. side of the pan, unless you construct a 2 piece shaft or are running a fairly high lift. The Atlas T-case is approx. 1" wider, and this will allow it to fit fine.

Hope this helps, good luck!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 01:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-8

Holy S*%t, you sure know your stuff. That is just what I wanted to hear. Thanks so much for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode