Evaporator Canister Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Evaporator Canister Question

1990 YJ 4.2 6 cylinder.
I read that if you squeeze the main purge line on the
evaporator canister & the idle changes you have a bad canister, How do I determine which line is the main purge line? I squeezed all of them except the one from the fuel tank. When I squeezed the one off the back of the carb. the idle went down. Is that the main purge line?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 09:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Evaporator Canister Question

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yes.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 10:05 AM
Way Outta Control

At ilde the purge valve opens up and sucks the vapor out of the purge canister. However, if the canister is bad (full of gas) the carb will suck out the raw gas, flood the engine and it'll die. The canister destruction can be caused by the cansiter just going bad or the tank being overfilled with gas and the overfill goes straight to the canister. It would be wise to check the canister for liquids...

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My understanding is slightly different---I was under the impression that at idle , there is no ported vacuum signal to the CTO valve . Therefore, there is no purge signal reaching the Evap Cannister from the CTO. Hence , even at idle , with steady manifold vac reaching to the Evap Cannister along the main evap cann hose line, the evap Cannister will not allow the vac from manifold vac to pull vapors from evap cann to the intake manifold . Once the engine is revved and ported vac appears above the throttle plate, then the ported vac signal is passed from the carb port to the CTO , and then it is passed to the Evap Cann Purge Signal Port . This then permits the ongoing manifold vac to pull vapors through from the Evap Cann to the intake manifold . Does this sound correct ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode