Converting D44 axle using D60 centersection. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Converting D44 axle using D60 centersection.

After reading the posts by Brian Wilson (High 5), It look pretty easy to convert my Scout D44's over to D60's. I think I will do it front and rear. The best thing is that I will still have 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and if axle shaft strength ever becomes a concern, I can always get, off the shelf high strength replacments. I was thinking about going fullwidth, but my Jeep is driven dailly, weather permitting, and my tires stick out far enough the way it is, I really don't need any more attn from Johnny Law. Now, for the major problem, I am looking for someting else to build. Something with more wheelbase. I would consider a CJ7, but finding one in good shape is not looking good, YJ's? way out of my price range for a trail vehicle. Now, free Toyotas are coming out of the woodwork, and I will be honest, I am seriously considering building one. It really opens up a bunch of low range gearing options, that are not possable in short wheelbase CJ's. Heck, a Marlin crawler dual transfer case, one with stock gears, one with 4.7 gears. It probably has enough wheelbase to stack a third crawler case, this one with 4.0 gears. Imagine the posibilities. It would be a lot more comfortable during Wintertime wheeling, But I would sure miss being topless in the Summer. I havn't made any desisions yet, but I am sure looking for opinions. I allready posted on the Toyota board, and really didn't recieve much of a response, and I am pretty sure I know what kind of response I will get here, but lets see if I am right.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Converting D44 axle using D60 centersection.

fyrballmt, i think the dana 60/44 thing is a good choice for a rear but not for the front. if you did it to the front you'd still have the 44 297 u-joints and they are the week link in a 44 so why add all the wieght and mass to the front? sure you'll have a stronger r&p, carrier, and housing but there is no need for this when you are stuck with the 297 joints. you want more wheel base why not lengthen your jeep? i did and i love it.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brian,
I thought of that, but wanted to see the opinions of other people. I know the D44 is plenty strong for a front application, and the U-joint are the weak link. One of the things I failed to mention is I will be using at least 38 inch tires, I am kinda leaning toward 39.5/15x15 Swampers. Once you start running lower then 4.56 gears in a D44 the pinion becomes weak, probably head to head with the axle joint. Now I don't mind changing an axle joint every so often, I can even do that on the trail, but I can't change a R&P on the trail. Of course, if I go with all of that low range gearing, I could easily get by with 2.73 axle gears. It would be a real PITA to drive one the street though, and I feel that there is no such thing as overbuilt.
Thanks, Brian. More opinions, Please.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sounds like WAYYY too much trouble, time, and $$ than its worth. Why not just drop in a 5 lug 60 out of any old Dodge Power wagon?

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 09:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

39.5 swampers are way too big for a 297 joint. if you go that big it would be in your best interest to run a front dana 60 hub to bub. i'd also just go with a rear ff 60 too. even if they are too wide for your liking have them cut down. a 39.5 tire as you know is huge and you'll need the beef. with the added stability of my jeep since i have lengthened it i want a set of 38x14.50 tslsx's but i'm holding off because i run a 44 in the front. i even have the warn hd shafts but i worry about axle joint life turning the big meats. i'm just keeping my eye out for a front 60 that i can narrow to match my rear axle and then i'll move up.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 03:11 PM

With a six-cylinder (4.5L) and an automatic, do you think spooled 4.88 gears in a Dana 44 would last turning 38" tires? How about the U-Joint? I could buy three sets of Brute Force U-joints with lifetime warranties and just turn in the broken ones for new ones after a difficult 'wheeling trip....

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YOU CAN MAKE IT LAST WITH A 6 CYLINDER IF YOU ARN'T TOO AGRESSIVE. PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THAT THEY CAN JUST CHANGE THE U-JOINT IF IT BREAKS BUT MORE TIMES THAN NOT IF YOU BREAK A U-JOINT YOU'LL JACK UP THE YOKES ON THE AXLE SHAFT AND THE SHAFT WILL BE WASTED. IT WOULD BE NICE IF ALL THAT BROKE WAS THE JOINT. LIKE I SAID IN AN EARLIER POST, I RUN THE WARN AXLE SHAFTS IN FRONT AND THEY ARE SUPOSED TO WITHSTAND U-JOINT FAILURES BETTER THAN THE STOCK SHAFTS BECAUSE THE YOKES ARE HEAT TREATED LIKE THE SHFTS WHERE THE YOKES ON STOCK SHAFTS ARE NOT HEAT TREATED. I HAVN'T BROKEN A U-JOINT SINCE I INSTALLED THE SHAFTS SO I'LL HAVE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I DO.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WIDTH, THATS WHY. YOU JUST GOT DONE NARROWING YOUR FRONT AXLE. WHY? SO IT WOULD BE THE WIDTH YOU WANT. WELL I HAVE A REAR 60 THAT IS THE WIDTH I WANT AND I DON'T HAVE TO RUN CUSTOM SHAFTS OR ANYTHING.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 04:37 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Not in the front. No way. Once you turn, automatic or not, the spool will chew through the U-joints every time. A spool in the rear I can see, but never the front, a twin stick would also be useless in this application, there'd be no way to avoid breakage.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 05:22 PM

So...how does a Locker stop ya from chewing up U-joints if it's locked under power and your turning? On the road I can just unlock the hubs and it won't matter that the spool is in there. My friend's Samuri is welded front and rear and he drives it daily and 'wheels it on the weekends. One of the TTC competitors a few years back had a rear spool and a welded front...

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode