%&($$*&*$*$ cheap tools OT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

%&($$*&*$*$ cheap tools OT

I, once again regret using Cheap, junk tools. this time it was a 3/4" socket that i ripped in 1/2 with a 2ft breaker bar, and a front u-bolt.
I lost most of the skin on the back of my right hand, and may have broken a finger or 2 in my left hand. Those frame rails are tough.
Sorry guys, just had to vent.... ended up cutting the u-bolt off.

BJ

See you on the pilf side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:52 PM

Re: %&($$*&*$*$ cheap tools OT

I own a 170-piece set of cheap tools. I also own a Ace Hardware "Professional Grade" 1/2" Ratchet set and "Gear-Wrench" set (open and box-end wreches where the box end ratchets.) So far I haven't broken any of those.... When I Was taking my roll-bar our last year to Durabak the interior I used a Craftsman 3/8" ratchet and managed to brake the square piece off it (the part that goes into the socket) without even a breaker bar! I also went through quite a few torques head sockets! Good thing I bought limited life-time warranty ones, I had to come back for replacements later that day!

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:15 AM

Cheap tools are easier to replace than the hide covering your muscle and bones.
In any event, use gloves ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:22 AM

I guess it takes me a while to learn, too. I bought a $20.00 angle grinder that I thought would be "good enough". Used it for about a half day taking the paint off the rims on our RV to repaint them, and I let the smoke out on the last #**@$&* rim. I'm thinking about dropping some coin on a Milwaukee angle grinder; maybe I can get a whole day's use out of it!

Ken

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Coming from a mechanic background, my philosophy is this:
Buy the best tools you can from the start. If you get the cheap tool to save money, you are spending more money. Sure, they're cheaper in the beginning, but when you factor in hospital bills, pain, aggravation, friend's snickering, and then the cost of the new, expensive, good tools that you would have originally bought and now have to, you are far better off buying Quality tools from the start....No, i dont $hit money, but as i look through my toolbox, i see the tools that spend all day in my hands (1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ratchets, screwdrivers, etc.) are all Snap-On. Sockets, they're mostly Craftsman, with a few snap-ons mixed in. I learned my lesson early on with Cheap tools and will never buy another one as long as i live. Since i gave all my cheapies away, u have far less skinned knuckles....

Mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a habit of buying good quality tools (expensive but worth it) I do not like to buy the same tool twice (unless I need another one). Sometimes you just have to hope that your friend has what you need or buy what you need. Try to stay a way from cheap electrical tools they just go pfssssssst (The sound of smoke releasing).JMO

1974 CJ5 304
1989 Cherokee 4.0
The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life !!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Turnin wrenches full time,i've learned cheap tools are REAL expensive!Having to buy someone else's parts 'cause i broke it using a cheap tool sucks!Besides,look at it as you would if you were buying a firearm(had to get that in there),or even furniture.Is this something i will be able to hand down to my kids or grandkids?Good stuff lasts a lifetime,does not spoil in the drawer,and will not cause hours of extra work.The tools you get off the trucks(Snap-on,Mac,ect.)are the best,but the price is high(sometimes i think the toolmen are high).If its not a everyday thing,save your money.BUT,heres afew you may want to consider spending the big bucks on,wrenches and sockets,rounded off nuts and bolts can cause hours of grief,and injurys are real expensive(been to the emergency room lately!),line wrenches(screwin' up a brake line is not good at all(the whoa is more important than the go)and last ,but probably most important,pliers,cheap ones are useless,and you won't belive the differance in the good ones!
point i'm tryin' to make is,invest a little more now and you'll have more money to spend on your jeep in the future.
Matt

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 09:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The thing about buying junk is that it's junk when you bring it home; it's junk next week at this time, and it's still junk five years from now. If you think of it this way....the difference is usually less than the cost of a pizza. One thing I have found NO substitute for is the Snap-On allen drivers in 3/8" and 1/2" drive. NOTHING holds up like Snap-On. Not PROTO, not Craftsman; not New Britan. If you are just a home garage guy you can buy a marginal 3/4" drive socket set and use it to do the bigger stuff that would stress your 1/2" drive, but if you are working on big stuff that actually required 3/4" drive sizes, you better have a quality set for that too. I love my Milwaukee right-angle grinder.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:41 AM

There are lots of sets of tools for the home shop.

Craftsman is probably the best known, and one of the more reliable names.
Husky, S-K tools make a good product, Matco, Proto and may others will work just fine.

I turned wrenches every day for several years, and still pick up tools almost daily now.
My professional OPINION (don't need to get flamed about it)
Sears is always in the same place, and doesn't avoid you when you have a box full of warranties like the Snap-On truck and some of the others will...

Pay the extra money for Top quality tools when they are in critical situations.
I use Snap-On wobble extensions, for example.
If you are familiar with a wobble extension, you know that they undercut the shank to let the socket move at angles, so if they don't use top quality material to start with, it's going to fail...
Same with allen wrenches, like CJ Dave said, and screw driver tips, ect...
Drive size adaptors are another good example of where best quality must be used.
If you are using a 1/2" breaker bar on a 3/8" socket, that drive adaptor had better be a real quality piece, or it's going to fail before the socket will.

All measuring tools, like torque wrenches, micrometers, ect. MUST BE THE VERY BEST QUALITY.
Buy the testing tools for them, and learn how to use them.
For example, Standards (short piece of steel rod ground to a precise diameter or length) are about $5 to $10, and most Muffler & Brake and "rebuild" shops don't have them, or the little wrenches to adjust the micrometers...
I've seen reputable shops that when you talk to the guys, they say it's been a year sense their torque wrenches were tested!!
Pretty sad state of affairs...
(Everybody thinks that just knowing how to bolt things together makes them a 'Mechanic'....)

I personally have a box full of Craftsman tools.
I have acquired several sets of Snap-On, Mac, and others down through the years, but I like my Craftsman best.
I don't know if it's because I started out with them and got used to them, or they just fit my hands better...?...
Sears has never given me a minute of problem when something broke, and I always know where the Sears store is going to be.
When something gets lost or stolen, I know Sears is going to have it, FOR A REASONABLE PRICE...

I get Micrometers and the like from Starrett, Mitutoyo, ect., people that know how to make and maintain precision equipment...

WORD OF CAUTION:
If you can find some of the Craftsman tools that say, "Made In USA" get them.
Sears tried the cheap Taiwan tools a few years back, and they were a disaster.
Steer clear of them if at all possible.
--------------------------------

Something has to be said for tool use SAFETY here...
I still scratch hide once in a while, but I NEVER BREAK FINGERS!!
You were pushing instead of pulling, and you trusted the tool completely.
I guess you know to never do that NOW!!!
(Learned the hard way... Most of us did, too...)

ALWAYS PULL, If you can't pull it, you have the wrong tool in most cases.
ALWAYS LOOK FOR SHARPS BEFORE, cover them with a fender cover or rags, or add extensions so you are above them.
DON'T BE A DILBERT, Every single mechanical thing on the planet is going to fail, even your tools. Be ready for things to fail.
NEVER GET UNDER ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE USING JACK STANDS!! No exceptions.
USE SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES! Ever seen a blind Jeeper or mechanic?
Ever had anything get into your eye while working on something? We all have!!
That could have permanently damaged the eye just as easy as not...
I don't know about you guys, but I intend on eye balling hard bodied women until I die!!!
You won't catch me with out safety glasses!!

Usually there is a solution for getting valuable body parts out of harms way... DO IT!
Extensions, long handle ratchets or breaker bars, push instead of pull, all pretty common stuff, but for some reason, people don't do it.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 02:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

I agree with the thinking of TR. Craftsman tools are the best because of the warranty and the EASE of honoring the warranty. Not that Snap-on is not a better product, just that the Sears store is alway in the same spot.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode