Tcase skid plate mounting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tcase skid plate mounting

My skidplate for the trans and tcase is now only held on by 3 bolts. The other 3 have broken off right at the frame. Since this is also the rear mount for the engine/trans, it's causing me some worry. How have others rigged this? I understand that getting the broken bolts out is a major exercise in frustration. The idea I have right now is to weld angle iron along the frame and bolt to it. Has anyone done something different?

(former user: ddehaan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 01:53 PM
SPRUCE

Re: Tcase skid plate mounting

I had this same problem with my jeep. I ended up putting on a 4" lift and had to lower the skid plate at the same time. So instead of using the hardware provided I made up some 2" x 2" x 1" steel blocks that I drilled and taped. Bolted them to the skid plate and aligned everything up where it had to be. Then I just welded the blocks to the frame. It might be a good idea to use a little anti-seize when bolting it back together. Then you should not have this problem again.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've thought of the blocks also. Currently my plate is 1/2" lower than the frame because of a lift. With the angle iron, I can cut an oval hole so the plate lines up no matter how much I lower or raise the trans and tcase.

(former user: ddehaan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2000, 09:12 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I had to add a new skidplate when I swapped in the new tranny and trasnfer. I used the stock skidplate, but adding a LOT of weight caused concern for the existing bolt holes, so I needed to do something for strength. This is what I did.

I removed the stock skidplate, breaking 4 of the 5 bolts holding it on. These I had to redrill and tap (easily enough using Titanium bits), there are 8 bolt holes but only 6 of them are used with the skidplate. I used 1/4" angle, 3"x5", and cut them to 3' long (I have a Scrambler, the CJ-7's might be shorter). I then put these on the inside of the framerails, with the other angle part under the frame. It will just fit on a Scrambler where the transmission is. I marked and drilled the holes and bolted these angles to the frame. This added strength to the frame and disbursed the weight of the tranny and transfer. I adjusted and bolted it to the adapter between the tranny and transfer and marked it's location on the angled steel bolted to the frame. Then I took everything apart and welded the skidplate to the angled steel. I bolted everything back on and re-lined it up. For added measure, I ran 3 evenly spaced 1/2"x4" bolts through the frame horizontally and the piece of angle that wasn't drilled and bolted. This gives me 7 bolts holding each side up, which is more than enough.

I hope this helps.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode