DETROIT TRUETRAC any good? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:29 PM
Wrangler88

DETROIT TRUETRAC any good?

since i can't really put in a locker because i drive so much on the highway and the winter driving weather in ohio is terrible because the snow plows never come out, how would a detroit truetrac be? it says it doesn't lock up 100% so wouldn't that be better and it'll give me that extra traction i need, any one try theses verse an actual locker.. .thanks!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: DETROIT TRUETRAC any good?

I run one in the front axle, and wish i had done a "real locker".
It locks up with the application of throttle, so in the mud it's cool, but in the rocks it blows....
Have to get that tire spinning pretty quick to get power over.

my .02
BJ

See you on the pilf side
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:46 PM

I have one in the rear of mine, and it's awesome. I drive alot in snow, too. That's why I didn't go with a locker. The Truetrac doesn't use any friction plates, so it's much more durable than other limited-slip diffs.
It's a good choice for a winter daily-driver.

'86 CJ-7, 258, T-176, Dana 44 w/TrueTrac, 4:11s, Weber, HEI, Borla header, Warn HS9500i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:47 PM

Is it gear-driven like Auburns? Those LSs that use clutch-packs (i.e. Trac-Lock) are a pain in the butt.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:51 PM

Sycho- It is gear-driven. It doesn't even need the special LS fluid for the diff.

'86 CJ-7, 258, T-176, Dana 44 w/TrueTrac, 4:11s, Weber, HEI, Borla header, Warn HS9500i
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:34 AM

it\'s da bomb

All last winter I was in Montana driving with a T.T. out back. I drove through some horrible snow storms for hundreds of miles traveling to and from Bozeman MT. I remeber a time when I was crossing a pass near Butte and I noticed that the road was exceptionally slick at the particular spot, so I pulled off to lock my hubs and just for fun I walked on the highway to see what the ice condition was. The ice that covered the road was like perfect glass about half an inch thick, I almost fell on my a$$ but I made it another 80 miles to home.

<font color=red>Chad</font color=red>
[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/liveaxle85/...l?969746689620
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:02 AM
Wrangler88

ok how about this guys?, 4-wheel parts wholesalers who i don't really like but anyway are selling Trac-Lok limited slips for $189 for the dana 35, are those any good? maybe go with a trac-lok in the back and true-trac upfront? and ideas?
thanks a ton!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 12:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Trac-loc they sell is the exact one that would have come with your YJ if it had one from the factory.
They can last a long time, but they need regular servicing (every 30K miles) and an additive so they won't make noise. You must also keep your tires even in size and tire pressure for the best service.

The tru-trac should work well for snow service, but your YJ has a front axle disconnect, I'm not sure the worm gears would handle this system when it is in 2wd.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 07:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a friend of mine had one in his solid axle Toyota and had A LOT of problems getting it to engage. When he opened the diff to change it out to a lock right it was brokem. Long story short though, Randy's Ring and Pinion let him "Upgrade" for free. Awesome customer service. Bad locker.

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 07:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If driving on the snow and such is an issue how about and ARB? That way you can shut it off whenever you want. I personally dont like em (too many air line failures) but if they are installed right with SS lines they should be good for what you need, no?

My .02

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode