Front Driveshaft problem- - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front Driveshaft problem-

Ok I know there is some clearance issues with the Auto Tranny and the Front Driveshaft on CJ7s.. I have 78 CJ7 w/4in Suspension lift w/ 304 and Th400 automatic mated to Dana 20 adaptor and the Dana 20.. I need a new front driveshaft and got a measurement of 38inches from Yoke to Yoke.. Does this seem correct? Also will the 2in Driveshaft be the Correct Size or Do I need to go with a 1in design?

Thanks

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:17 PM
glennCJ7

Re: Front Driveshaft problem-

Seems like about the right length, mine's 37 1/4, 82 CJ7, TF999, Dana 300, SOA. The dia really depends on your skid plate clearance and how strong you want it to be.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:09 AM
Official Historian

with a 4" lift, shackle reversal and the front axle moved forward an inch, mine comes out to 40". i think there is room for a larger than original diameter shaft. mine had some weights tacked to it by the transmission that stood up about a 1/2". definately not room for anything bigger than 2" though.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:57 PM
SPRUCE

If you plan on using the same yokes and slip shaft you will have to stick with the 1" tube. They do have a heavy duty tube that you should ask for I think the wall thickness is .188 instead of the .12. I had both the front and rear drive shafts redone with the biggest tube avaliable without having to buy new yokes after snapping the front and putting a 1/4 twist in the rear one. At least if all happened on the same weekend. Just replacing the tube only costed about $70 each.

'77 CJ7 AMC360/T400/Q-trac/D30/D44
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sound like you have almost the same setup that I have.. I run Dana 30 front Dana44 rearend Auto tranny... I got a guy that has a driveshaft with the correct length but its 2inchs in diameter. some people say this will fit but others say no.. Please tell me before I buy it..

Thanks

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode