Emmission Maintenance Light - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Emmission Maintenance Light

I just did the TFI Upgrade on my '87 YJ (258 6 Cyl) on Sunday and drove the jeep about 130 miles today. About 100 miles into my trip, the emmissions maintenance light went on. Anyone know if one has to do with the other. Also, should I be concerned that it went on, anything I should be doing maintenance on? Also, how do I turn it off? Thanks for all the advice in advance.

Donny

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Emmission Maintenance Light

How many miles on your jeep? If I am not mistaken that light comes on at a certain milage, to cause you to have to go to the dealer and pay $200 for the service manager to say I don't know. Mine has been on as long as I have owned the Jeep, runs the same as ever. The conversation that I remember having concerning this is the module that controles it. You basicly have 3 options. #1 remove the module. Your light will go out. Was reported in a service manual to not cause any problems, but I would not through it away until it drove right. #2 Take it to a dealer and get the module replaced, this is a dealer only part. This is fool proof, but costs money. #3 Forget about it. It is only a little light, drive it until a problem comes up.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, etc. etc. etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

please help, to top

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 06:22 PM
Old Hand

The emission maintenance timer comes on at 82500 miles or so. It is a reminder to get the oxygen sensor replaced (or to go to the dealer and get raped while they replace everything). It is under the dash to the right of the steering column. You can't reset it. Either buy a new one, unplug it, remove the bulb, or just live with it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 06:34 PM

Removing the bulb solves it very quickly and affordably.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 06:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I always hate to disagree with people here, because everyone here is really bright. You can indeed reset the light. On that module to the right of your accelerator pedal, is a small sticker - I think mine was silver. (The module is a brown tinted plastic - you can see inside it) When the little wheels inside that module go so far, it pushes a little wire over onto another wire, and makes the light go on. Remove the module, peel back that little sticker - it's maybe the size of your fingernail, and use a small tweezer or screwdriver to move the wire/spring/lever-thing back up on top of the wheel - once you look really closely at the module and the gears inside you'll know what I'm talking about. This will make the light go out. You should probably replace the cat, and look at the charcoal canister, that kind of thing. Or not, and wait to see if you fail emissions. I thought it was just a key-on thing, and came on after the key was on for so long. There's a whole bunch of gears inside that module. I just took mine out and took it apart (like any good Jeeper would do) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] when the light came on. I never put it back in. Anyway, that's the way my 88 was.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 06:44 PM

I have wondered what that thing was? I had figured on removing it(and all other unused items) when I swapped in my mustang motor. Sinc eI plan to re harness everything at that time.
Thanks for the info

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>damn, now I have to go pay with that little brown box...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 01:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The maintanance reminder boxes are only used on '87-'90 YJs and XJs originally sold in the 49 states. CA models didn't have them! The factory fix is to remove the box and replace with a new one. (I'll have to try the reset procedure!) It turns on the light to remind you to replace the O2 sensor, usually around 80K miles, or so.

The '91 and newer Jeeps, and some other Chryslers, have a PCM driven "maintanance required" light that can only be turned off using the DRB scan tool that the dealer has. Don't confuse it with the "Check Engine" light, it is not the same thing. Removing the bulb is the best option, but be aware that some smog tests in some states require that it is working. In CA, for example, the "Maint Req" light can be on, and the Jeep won't fail. The "Check Engine" light may cause failure, if the code in the PCM indicates an emissions failure, or it doesn't work at all.

Thank your govt. for this little device, they mandated it, because they care.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode