Wiring a second heater motor? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Wiring a second heater motor?

Just getting ready for winter and I'm planning on adding a second heater(that I'm putting together myself). Can I wire the second motor right up to the other one or will the two of them pull too much current on one circuit? I'll be adding an off/on switch but I want to be able to adjust the speed of both motors from the selecter on the heater controls. If I put a second speed selector for the second one, what type of switch should I look to get? If I put the other switch on, I might just wire it up on another circuit. Any suggestions?

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:20 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Wiring a second heater motor?

Run a second circuit, with it's own breaker. This way you'll make sure that the second circuit is fully protected. 'As for the switch... keep it simple and install a second OEM or aftermarket Jeep Heater/blower switch. Install it on the second circuit to control only the auxilary fan.

You would also have to use a OEM plug for the wiring, or hard wire the connectors. Because of the high current draw, I would suggest using the OEM plug. Also duplicate the speed resistors by using OEM resistors that are mounted on the Heater Box.

By keeping the duplicated circuit parts as close to OEM as possible parts are avalible. If you decide to use other parts, such as from a Ford, Chev, etc., that's not a bad idea, but keep the make, model, year and the VIN number from the donor vehicle. You may need that information in the future for parts replacement.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode