OK...Dont get annoyed yet! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK...Dont get annoyed yet!

I am currently running 33/12.50/15 centennial "canyon crawlers" and shackle extension on my 1978 CJ-5. I'm assuming they are giving it an extra 2'' or so. It has stock axles and much more, but it has a 304 V8. Well I want to put a four inch superlift softride and run 36/12.5/15 TSL swampers. Could this happen? I keep hearing about brushing. If this wont work, can I use the Q78 Swampers. Im adament on this size and lift. I'm not planning on any rock climbing, but mudding and trails are in perspective. Thank you for answering my questions.

Oh and could you give me a ballpark figure on....
Superlift Softride
<if not included in the kit>
U bolt sets <2>
Rancho 5000 shocks <4>
Pitman Arm
Transfer Case Lowering
I dont need individual prices...just ballpark from experience
And the Swampers....36/12.50/15 TSL or Q78--all depending

All of these things pend on if I can fit these tires. I am currently out of the country for the next 3 months. As result, your help is greatly appreciated.

Everyone drools when they see it........now to get them afraid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:14 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: OK...Dont get annoyed yet!

The Q's will rub with just a 4" lift. I had a 4" Superstiff and a 1" shackle (more or less) and my 33" Swampers rubbed. I also know of someone running a 4" lift with Q78's, and they have beaten the tar out of the fenders. I'd also suggest a body lift, 2", and a small shackle lift.

You shouldn't need a drop transfer, I know of people running CJ-7's with Q78's, SOA rear, and 4" front (+ body lift) and no drop case, in fact, theirs is tucked up more with a custom skid plate.

Let's see, I know you mentioned no individual prices, but just for comparison (and it's easier for me)

U bolt sets <2>......$5 each (local spring shop)
Rancho 5000 shocks <4>......No idea, I run RS9000's at $60 each or $180 for 4 during special
Pitman Arm........$65
Transfer Case Lowering......Not needed, but make your own, $2
I dont need individual prices...just ballpark from experience
And the Swampers....36/12.50/15 TSL or Q78--all depending....catalogs, $150 each.

Don't forget the brake lines to go with the lift, $30 for each front and $35 for the rear.......$100

I hope you're running heavy duty shackles, cause the Q's and the lift will snap the weaker ones like a twig.

So together you're looking at $985, but sometimes you can get the pitman arm included with the lift, mine was included. My lift was also $350 and the U-bolts were included, they were the wrong size, but they were included.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I know with my cj7, 4in superlift softride springs, 1 1/2" longer shackles (which gives an extra 3/4"of lift, and 33x12.50x15 tsl swampers the tires hit the front fenders hard. I do not have a sway bar so that helps a lot with the flex. good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

See thats just the thing though boys!! I've been runnin these 33s with no suspension whatsoever. I wish I could go look at it, but its a good 4 hour plane ride away, and I've got to plan all this out before I get back to it. What is the widest tire I could fit under the body? I have 15x10 rims. I'm gettin more and more confused. Four wheel distributors, or whatever, gave me a quote of $1800!! And national tire gave me $1400. I wont have time to do all this myself, I'm gonna need this baby as a commuter!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe I shouldnt bother with the 36s and just keep the 33s <in swampers of course> but the idea of how beautiful they would be just keeps me going! I'm open to suggestions!!!!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 08:05 PM
FlMudCJ

I have my 304'd 5 with what used to be a superlift 4" lift, which has sagged in two years to I'd guestamate 2.5"'s. I just decided on 36X12.5X15 swampers, mostly because it'd take a week and a half to get the Q78's that I really wanted... But I'm very happy with the 36's...

I have no body lift, shackle lift or other suchwhat. I do have wider 1/2 ton axles, so I don't rub on the springs, but I am eating flare, so I'll have to slide a shackle lift on (helps caster when you have the front reversed) and probably new springs. Quite ironic tho, the springs are soft enough now, but they lost alot of height to get there... I'd go for it. Also, with my 5, and a 9" low pinion, and also with the AMC20, never vibe one, with the new lift, or now...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

George, iwas hoping you'd reply to this one....wait a damn minute...."eating flare?" You unoriginal ARMANDO! Do not threaten me by using my phrases! BLAHHHHlalalalalala.........

Armando from Orlando

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running a 4" superlift, 1-1.25" body lift, TJ flares and 35s on Scout axles. I do hit the flares a little, but b/c of the wider axles I don't hit the springs or tub. I think JEEPN's prices are about right.
I have been pleased with National Tire and Wheel price wise both on tires and their Superlift softride with trailmaster ssv shocks deal. Some of the best prices around. If I had it to do over again I'd order the Skyjacker SS extended brake lines. The Goodrich (?) SS ones I got I've torn one apart at the fitting. The Skyjackers also have a clear plastic coating I like and cost about the same as any others.

The Superlift will sag after awhile, as will any lift. You could go the Pro-Comp (Pro-Crap) lift route....stiff as a board but as a result seems to hold its height. One of my bro-in-laws has 78 CJ5 with a Pro-Crap 4" that I SWEAR is a 6 " lift and nothing else. He runs 35 SXs on narrow track axles like yours but does hit the CJ flares, springs, and tub.

I'd plan on 4" lift, a 1-2" body lift and maybe TJ flares to run 36s.

Shain

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dubaishort if you're running 33's with no suspension lift you aren't wheeling it, period! I have 33's on my CJ with 2.5" of suspension and 1.25" of shackle and they're bending the trailing end of the rear fender openings before full flex is reached. I also use a 10" wheel. The suggestions you are hearing are from those who use their suspensions. You could go with 2" of spring lift and not rub with 35's if you don't take it off the pavement. By the way, if you have your ducks in a row, a suspension lift can be done in about 4 hours on a weekend. Save the install bucks and put a Saturday aside for it.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 06:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Snow Tow, give me a break. I just bought this thing, and its my first. I'm only just starting and I had to save the money...took a long time. I've only taken it in the mud and some easy trails, nothin rough. I don't want to all my money go to waste, so I'm asking all these damn questions. I just dont have the resources to do it myself. I would love to, dont get me wrong. I wouldnt mind losing the jeep for a weekend, thats ok...but knowing me it would be MUCH longer. Ah yes, if you would be so kind as to tell me what setup would be good for me...keeping the 4'' Superlift softride and the swampers <not necassarily that size>! Thanks for all your help, and hope you understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode