360 Flexplate - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 08:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

360 Flexplate

I have an AMC 360 that fresh from the machine shop, i had the motor balanced to a 360 flexplate, however i failed to note in 77 the transmissions in the Jeeps were TH400, not Torqueflights, which is what i'm trying to put in to my CJ. So can i just get an AMC flexplate for a 360 to a Torqueflight or do i need to tear the motor down and get everything rebalanced?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 03:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 360 Flexplate

You will need a torqueflite type flexplate. Match it to the year starter you are using, the '86 and earlier use the familiar Ford type, the newer ones use a Mitsubishi gear reduction type.

If you are worried about the balance, have the machine shop match the balance to the TH400 flexplate you have.

Be carefull to inspect the rear hole in the crank flange, there usually is a spacer ring about 1/16" thick inside there to size down the crank to fit the TH400 converter snout. It may be hard to see, test fit the Torqueflite converter before you install the engine. Remove it with a couple of screwdrivers, or CAREFULLY grind out one wall with a Dremel tool to allow easy removal.

(If you were trying to install an engine that was missing the spacer to a TH400, it would seem to fit fine, but the flexplate would only last a few months, at best.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode