Springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 05:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Springs

Does anyone have the measurements of the rear springs from a 55-75 CJ with 1.75 width 46" long,I know the general size,I need the measurements from spring eye to tie bolt.

Dave Cardwell-- Louisiana 67 V6 Jeepster 46 CJ2-A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Springs

Do you want the measurement from the spring eye to the center tie bolt on one side? Do you want a straight measurement or a measurement along the curve?

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry Kraig; Wasn't thinking that time of the morning--From spring eye to tie bolt,on one side.I'm trying to fit CJ rears to Jeepster front-I know they are the same length so the only thing that would prevent there use is the position of the tie bolt. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can check, I have an old set of stock springs at home and I will measure them at lunch.

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:02 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Center pin location is centered on the length of the spring on all CJ's to my knowledge. 46" long spring will have a 23"/23" split.

Are you sure they are 46" long? I was pretty sure flat length for CJ springs was closer to 45", and I thought they were 2" wide, not 1.75"...

Oh well, I will check my books tonight when I get home and post back [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, a friend & I went round and round trying to come up with a good spring pack for Jeepsters - and it ain't easy as I am sure you have found out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 08:27 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Spring Info

First off, I was wrong - there is a 1.75" wide spring [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Trailmaster lists the specs for a replacement OE spring got the front of a 57-75 CJ5 as a 9 leaf pack, 39 3/4" long with a centered loating pin (19 7/8" from each eye). They do not list a rear spring in their chart.

Trailmaster lift springs - 3", for 55-75 CJ
Front: 36.50" long, 550 lbs/in spring rate, 5 leaf
Rear: 43.19" long, 400 lbs/in spring rate, 5 leaf

Rancho doesn't show anything, but feel free to check their complete spring parts for something that is "close" and you can make work - I have a page here with some info and charts that may help http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota/spring_swap_info.htm

Hope this helps and good luck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spring Info

David thanks for the charts,I'll study them.The off-set for the front Jeepster is 21"/25" #%& figures!! I knew it wasn't going to be that simple,but it was worth a try. I can't believe they made these springs just for Jeepsters. Lucky Me-- knew I should have kept my CJ. Well back to the drawing board? Thanks Dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:16 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I had worked with a friend a little who was knee deep in a similar delima over springs. I can't for the life of me remember what we got figured out though [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I think it may have been that wider springs were pretty much the only alternative that would work out well...

I will see what else I can dig up - maybe I will drag my buddy over here to add his thoughts [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks--The rear springs are 56"x2.5 w/23"-33" offset bolt. A Jeep MJ pickup rears are 57"x2.5" but don't know pin offset. I'm determined to find something that works--Can't stand the ride height LOW But at the same time I don't want to do a SOA or high arch springs- just want it to sit up instead of dragging around. Dave

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:04 PM
Carey

David here is what I have found so far and still looking. I am still playing with my 71 Jeepster. The Jeepster front spring is 46" long with a 21/25 offset, standard suspension was 1.75 wide; heavy duty was 2" wide. Rear springs are 56" long with a 23/33 offset & 2-1/2" wide. If you are staying with the stock set up the only alternatives for a lift that I have found so far are custom springs . However stock replacement springs are available from Leon Rosser Jeep, your local spring shop, or Rancho.
I am moving my front springs out board of the frame for a Wagoneer Dana 44. In my case I have a set of 81 J-10/Wagoneer springs to use on the front unless I find something else real soon. They are approximately 47"+ long (I thought they were longer when I got them) with a 22+or-/25 offset and 2-1/2" wide. With the Jeepster and J-10 spring side by side there is between 1" and 1-1/2" difference both in the length and the tiebolt location. Another alternative is to use CJ or YJ springs both are 46" long with a centered (23/23)tie bolt; CJ being 2" wide up front and 2-1/2" wide rear, YJ being 46" long 2-1/2" wide and centered tie bolt front and rear. If you use a CJ or YJ rear spring you will have to fabricate a new rearmost spring mounting point to accomodate the 10" shorter spring. If you use either CJ or YJ springs up front you will have to move both of the front spring hangers forward to keep the axle in the same place up front.
I don't know if I have helped or created more confusion, but either way welcome to the wonderful world of Jeepsters. I am still looking for a spring that is close enough that I can buy aftermarket lift springs without changing the entire setup. Those odd offsets are the problem. I am seriously considering going with a YJ lift kit, since I am relocating the front axle anyway it would only be 2 more spring mounts to make.

Carey Smith
71 C101
97 TJ(traded wife's Durango)
95 Bronco that I traded the YJ for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode