Almost bought a locker today but desided not to - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 11:48 PM
Wrangler88

Almost bought a locker today but desided not to

as i almost bought a locker today, i talked to a guy who said hes friend had a wrangler with a locker and on the highway in the winter when he hits really slick parts of the road the locker would engage and make the vehicle go into a spin and he smashed up the wrangler, which made me change my mind since i do about 30 miles of highway and its mostly turns, is this completely true, will that happen if i hit slick ice, can someone share some experiences.. i'd hate not to get one because of this, how about running a front locker..thanks for the help!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 12:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Almost bought a locker today but desided not to

Short wheelbase+locker+ice= scary. I am locked front and rear in my CJ5, and on icy road I have to be in 4 wheel drive, because it is completly undriveable in 2 wheeldrive. Even in 4 wheel I can only go 20 MPH because I am sideways the entire time. It is not that the locker engaged on icy roads, It is because it couldn't disengage. The wheels are tied together, much like a spool, and ice dosn't have enough traction to make the locker disengage the outboard tire while cornering. I have friends with CJ7's and Wranglers with lockers that don't have near as bad as problem as me. You have to remember to be smooth off and on the throttle. Once you get used to it, you will never run open again. Even though I am not a big fan of ARB's, This is a very good aurgument for them. I would order the Locker, and just remember that you have it back there, I am sure it will let you know. Adjust your driving style.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode