may have a problem (oil pressure) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

may have a problem (oil pressure)

OK, I've just spent the last 2 1/2 hours (time well spent!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) getting my jeep runnning, it had some "issues" with the battery connections and the battery itself. Anyways, got it running, and it had kind of a knock. I'm like crap!! so I checked my oil press. guage, absoloutely nothing! I was thinking oil pump....will this stop that knock?? Like the thing still runs great, fires right up, gobs of torque, so what's up? Thanks!

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: may have a problem (oil pressure)

Not to ask a dumb question but I see you checked the gauge, but did you check the oil? If you have an electric gauge it may be bad. You could go out and get a cheap mechanical one to verify weather you have pressure or not. Or maybe the pick up strainer to the oil pump is sludged up. Thats all I can think of for now. Good Luck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah I checked the oil, it's up to the full line. It's needs a change pretty bad, but i didn't have any tonight. It's real thin, like 10w-40, so could that cause this the slight knock?? It's the factory oil gauge, and all the rest of them work, so I assume it works.

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Assuming youchecked the oil, and accepting that the oil pressure gauge could be faulty, there is still the problem with "a kind of a knock".
My friend once thought he was doing a good thing when he installed a large dia. YJ filter on his 258 CJ. He took it out for some hard wheeling and the motor mount poked a hole in the filter. Not being a real motorhead he happily thrashed his CJ until it ran out of oil and developed "a kind of a knock". Not having any oil with him he drove it home. Needless to say that "a kind of a knock" did not go away. It sounded like someone was beating on the block with a sledge. OOOOps
Toasted engine.
Noises from an engine tell you something. Pinpoint the noise. Put your ear to a long screwdriver and touch the tip to parts of the engine. Bottom end noises are not good.
Worst case is an engine rebuild, but after you get over "cash output shock", you'll be real happy for a long time with a fresh engine.

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 11:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I wouldn't assume that your gauge works just cause the others do. If it were me I'd verify weather the gauge does or does not work. As for the knock could be a rod bearing or maybe a bad lifter tick, piston slap or like my buddys chevette a cracked alternator bracket. With that screwdriver trick, watch out for moving parts. Good luck.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep had been running great on the way home one day oil pressure slowly made its way to zero and stayed there. Changed the oil and the pressure is great now. This happened on a fresh engine about 1500 to 2000 since last oil change. Speedo works when it wants to so aside from checking my oil regularly when I get a little drop in oil pressure it time to change it. Happens every 4 months or so. It doesn't go flat anymore but does give a noticeable drop. Jeeps way of saying "hey stupid you forgot somethin"

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode