Outboard hangers done, thanks JEEPN and elusive - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:37 PM
cj7jeep

Outboard hangers done, thanks JEEPN and elusive

Thanks guys for posting/sending ideas for outboard spring hanger mounts. I have finally got them completed. Not the best looking welds, have a stick welder. With the combo of welding and using grade 8 bolts i think they will hold. Let me know if you see problems with them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-223090-Mvc-012s.jpg (37.8 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:39 PM
cj7jeep

Re: Outboard hangers done, thanks JEEPN and elusive

One more pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-223092-Mvc-013s.jpg (36.9 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:49 PM
Veteran

well.. looks pretty good.. but did you noticed that you have moved the axle forward.. your front hangers look like they are several inches forward..? not sure you planned that or not..
and then just one question.. ? why didnt you do a shackle reversal? i am guessing personal choice.. just asking.. but it looks good..
will be doing a schackle reversal with outboard hangers.. on a friends cj5.. he is putting d44 from a scout front and rear..
will post those pics in a few weeks when we are done..

jeepgod

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:11 PM
cj7jeep

InfantryYJ i debated the shackle reversal for a long time. Did not want the tires moving back towards the body (crunch). Moving the axle foreward was planned. Want to run 38 or 39's and i thought that would help make alittle more room for them, every little bit helps. The hard part is the steering. Still looking a several setups. Good luck on your setup.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

looks good but can i make a suggestion? add some gussets to the angle iron that you have your hard mouts on and add one or two to the front spring hanger itself. put them in the corner made with the side of the frame and the flat piece of the angle iron that sticks out. on the front those stock style spring hangers are notorious for breaking. put a couple of gussets that connect the round part of the hanger to flat part. just make sure not to weld them so that you couldn't get to the bolts that hold them on. you could also get some aftermarket ones like the slickrocks. i have these and they are very beefy but it think the gussets will work fine. hope this helps and/or gives you some ideas.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 11:01 PM
cj7jeep

Thanks for the input high5. I was wondering about those stock front hangers. Thanks.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 06:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

running 38's.. mmm.. me like.. me like.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

yes im with high5 on that.. brace those hangers.. or get the slick rocks..
ive bent the stock ones before.. that is why i welded up mine that i used on top of the frame... so they wouldnt come apart

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

looks good... i also welded my hangers up also so they wouldn't come apart.
one thing... how long of a shackle are you planning?.. mine are 10" long, but only hang below the frame an inch or two. the frame prevents side loads from bending those long shackles.. even if they are 5/16 thick. The longer shackles n the front would make for some major flex in the front shackles when steering, but with moderate shackles, you should be ok. high5 has some of the nicest outboard perches i have seen, and has been running them for years.. I'd do whatever he suggests(UNLESS HE SAYS SOMETHING LIKE"HEY...LETS CRAWL UP THIS LOG PILE)...inside joke.....

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 08:32 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Flipping the frame, what an idea! Did you undercoat or paint the frame underneath so it won't start to rot? I'm always cautious about sandwiched metal.

I'd also suggest a brace for the rear hanger, take a look at the pic below. I used the old stock spring perch I cut off the axle, ground it down, and welded it in there.

And the outside as well:

I also added some guessets to the front, but to support the lateral forces on the hanger itself, so it won't bend. The pic is included below:

I guess I'm just one for an added measure of safety, but I don't want these things moving around. There are a lot of forces on them, especially if you plan on running 38's! My shackle eyes aren't welded up, yet, but they will be with some 1/4", and they'll be stout when I'm done.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 08:56 AM

*Very* nice work, Jeepn...you are an artist. I especially like the shackles with the zerk guards on them.
You're on the right path, CJ7jeep...I have nothing to add that wasn't already covered (gusset brackets and shackle hangers).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode