HELP, can't flat tow - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:31 PM
jsmith

HELP, can\'t flat tow

I tried to flat tow my CJ5 for the first time this weekend after installing the lift. I put on a 4 inch spring lift and new shackles that are a half inch longer. It seems to track fine when I am going straight, the problem is when I make a sharp right or left hand turn. The jeep begins to turn but then the front wheels turn in the opposite direction. If I turn sharp to the left the jeep wheels end up turning to the right and vice-versa. It did not do this until after the lift. What is causing this? Is the shackles being 1/2 inch responsible or is it something else? I still have the 31/11.05's on them because I haven't been able to get the larger tires yet. Any input would be greatfull. The jeepchick said that we are not going back to Mexico until I get it fixed.

Is it done yet??!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 11:26 PM
Journeyman

Re: HELP, can\'t flat tow

When you drive the jeep down the street and turn, does the steering wheel try to straighten out if you let go? If not you may need to change your caster angle, it may be to far from specs because of the lift and could cause this problem.

Where's the Mud
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just had that problem with my 75 CJ5. I have longer shackles though (1.5" extra). I added axle shims to the front end and also bungeed the steering wheel. It flat tows great now. I need to try it with no bungee now and see how it tows.

You might try the bungee cord first (bungee the steering wheel so it will always return to straight). If that doesnt work, you may have to either put stock length shackles back on or shim the front axle with wedges (not always the best altenative unless you extend that center leaf spring stud so that it still extends into the leaf perch).

Good Luck

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, there was just a thread on this...maybe it was MTJeepers' question, I don't remember. Search and see if you can find it. The problem is likely caster related with the longer shackles. You can correct it with shims or just bungee the steering wheel to limit its travel and make the wheels return to center. I had to do this on a CJ5
Shain

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, Mine does the same thing. I will have to try that bungee cord next time.

Chevy - built like a ROCK.
Jeep - built to drive OVER rocks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:24 PM
jsmith

My lift kit came with front and rear wedges. I only put the rear in, looks like I may have to put the fronts in. I did not do it initially because I read where it wasn't a good Idea. It does return to center after making a turn when I am driving it.

Is it done yet??!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode