My CJ "Harem" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

My CJ \"Harem\"

Here's a couple of pics of my Jeeps. All in various stages of development. The first one is more or less done. As done as it's likely to get anyway. It's the wifes' daily driver. Not too much as far as major changes from stock. Rebuilt 258, TH400, and QT Xfer case. Rebuilt everything actually. It's a 1979. Jeep #2 is MY baby and is in the final stages of what has been about a 3 year project. This didn't start at the ground up. I started about 2 floors below ground level. Phewww. It's a 1983 that used to belong to the Ringling Bros Barnham & Bailey Circus. Still had their circus stickers on the doors when I bought it. Jeep #3 is biding it's time in my garage at the moment. It's a 1981 with a 258 & 4 speed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-223076-Mvc-019f.jpg (93.3 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My CJ \"Harem\"

uh....there's only one pic. It's a 'bute, though!

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

This is Jeep #2. EVERYthing on this one has been rebuilt. I tore out the 258 and dropped in a 304. It's got a factory mounted long stroke york that will be my air system. There is a tank about 3 1/2 gallons that will mount up under. Tranny is a T-999 mated to a Dana 300. I've heard the 999 is "marginal" for the 304 and meats of any size. We'll see but in any case it will have to do for now. Drivetrain is pretty much factory at the moment but will most likely see 1 piece axles before I drive it away. I doubt if this one will get much more heavy duty than that. I did a 2 1/2" suspension lift with the idea of stuffing 33's in for now. I actually ended up with a lot more wheel well left over than I had planned on. I wanted as much tire as I could reasonably use without swapping gears and with as little lift as I could get away with AND without doing a body lift. I HATE body lifts. To "me" they always end up looking slightly cheesy with all that daylight showing between body and frame. At some point I decided I liked the looks of the TJ flairs and decided to add those. Therein lay the problem with all the empty wheel well left over. I hadn't counted on the "built in" body lift that appears to be in the glass body. This lift, plus the suspension lift, plus all the fender trimmed away for the TJ flairs made the 33's look slightly lost in there. BTW, I got those flairs mounted up front with NO unsighlty gaps. Blended those puppies right in there. Duraglass is wonderful stuff. I started to put TJ seats in it as I couldn't find "really" nice YJ seats and didnt much care for most of the aftermarket ones. I went to a bone yard and lucked out, finding a TJ that had just come in and had nice seats. I got those all mounted up and just couldn't live with the increased ride height the seats gave me. I sold those on ebay without taking a bath and paid through the NOSE for the ones in it now. They are FACTORY! buckets about 15 or so years old and are in absolute Pristine condition. Took a major hit in the pocket book for 15 year old seats but it eliminated that ride height problem of aftermarket(or TJ). The rollbar I snagged from the same bone yard TJ and scored it for $125!!. That included the speaker bar, pads, and front/rear seat belts. I had to shorten the front legs about 1" and lengthen the rears the same. This leveled up the horizontals and let it fit under the hard top. Consoles are both Tuffy. The overhead I scored at 4WDH for $130. It had some paint scraped off of one side. For $70 I can do a boat-load of touching up I figure. The rear bumper is one of 4WDH heavy duty $500 deals that I got in the same scratch and dent deal for $330. I was going to build my own but am glad now that I didn't. There are a lot of little things they do that really beefs up there bumper that I wouldn't have thought to do. Plus that powder coat is THICK! Anyhow, I could go on and on into details. At some point I will probably redo my web page with the complete process. I took a s**tload of pictures while I was(am) doing it. If anyone would have any specific questions I would be more than happy to answer. Thanks for "listening" to me ramble.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-223105-Mvc-487f.jpg (84.9 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Jeep #2 Interior

My gold plated seats. See the scratch in the Tuffy overhead?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-223107-Mvc-481f.jpg (88.3 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: Jeep #3

Here's the scrambler. This is "supposed" to be my next project and the one that will be the off-road monster. To tell the truth though, between 1 and 2 I've been at it for almost 4 years and I'm gettin tired. I'm thinking of selling this one, a bronco I've got, and pooling the Dead Presidents and(Gasp!) BUYING one mostly built already.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-223113-Mvc-489f.jpg (73.6 KB, 4 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: Tuffy overhead. Oops!

If you're gonna see the scratch I should probably post a pic where you can actually see the console.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-223124-Mvc-482f.jpg (85.5 KB, 2 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 12:45 AM

::sniff, sniff:: Those pictures just brought me to tears! Have any of you guys ever seen such a thing of beauty before? Those paintjobs, the little details he paid attention to. I think I need a breather...

...ok, I feel better now. And to think, I just want my Jeeps to run!

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter gauge just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:11 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Don't sell the Scrambler. Go wild with it. You can swap in almost ANY drivetrain, there's a lot of room to work with. You'll regret it if you do. You can also lift it as high as you want, no driveline worries due to the extra length. Just my $0.02

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Welll, in my defense, #1 was for the wife, won't see any offroad to speak of, only doubles as a snow mover(plow jeep) in the winter. I couldn't see any reason why I couldn't add a little more pizzaz for her sake. She likes it. #2 isn't intended to be any serious rock-crawler, since here in Ohio the biggest "rocks" I'm likely to find are concrete curbs(grin!). It will see some trail use, mud use(Ohio has PLENTY of that) and snow use. I didn't see any reason why I couldn't look at least a "little" bit pretty while doing it. 'Sides, it's only ONE little stripe thingy. Everything else is being built for function and/or security from thieving fingers. Relatively lite duty function but function nonetheless.

<<::sniff, sniff:: Those pictures just brought me to tears!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep's one and two are very nice.and if you sell the scrambler I think you'll regret it there getting harder to come by and prices are reflecting that.Even if you have to sit on the scrambler for a while what the heck you already got it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode