Help! Brake booster upgrade for CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Help! Brake booster upgrade for CJ

I'm upgrading the brake system in my CJ and did the booster upgrade that was in the 4Wheel Drive & Sport Ute Mag. It's from a 85 Caddy. The problem is there are 2 "ports" on the booster where I was expecting only 1. One I imagine was for vacuum but is just a rubber grommet with a plastic plug in it. The other one has a fitting in it and had a tag attached labeled "check valve". In the picture it is the one on the left. Can anyone shed any light on how/what/where these 2 ports are to be hooked up? The article in the rag didn't say anything about it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-223060-Mvc-477f.jpg (76.7 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:49 AM

Re: Help! Brake booster upgrade for CJ

If your looking at the picture....the one on the left is where you plug in your vacume hose. Thats all there is to it.

'79 CJ-7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I assume then the one on the right I just put a plug in? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thoroughly investigated the brake booster setup and talked to the guy that owned the shop where the pics are from. The problem I think you might have run into is that some vehicles had ABS, some did not. I think that only the one side, left one, is necessary. The other one should be able to be plugged up. It might have been the check for the ABS. Just try it but make sure your e-brake works well, real well. And don't try it on the interstate.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 06:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Spook....
I was going to to the same upgrade on my 85 CJ7. What parts did you end up using? Did you replace your proportioning valve? Where did you get the braket for the booster to mount it to the firewall?

Thanks,
Tom

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I didn't need any parts other than the booster, for the most part. The firewall bracket I already had because the jeep started off with pwr brakes. I just wanted "better" brakes. I understand you can order a YJ bracket from the jeep dealer for about $15 or so and it will work as well. On mine I had to hog out the holes that mate to the booster but not much. YJ will be the same way I would guess. I didn't replace the proportioning valve. Don't think I need to. Not sure if you have to or not if you're upgrading from a manual brake system. I really couldn't see WHY you would have to. Maybe someone else can answer that question for us???? The master cylinder is the stock replacement for my year of jeep with power brakes. Again I don't know if there is any real difference in the master cylinder for a manual vs. power system. I took a cylinder from a power system and stuck it on a jeep with manual brakes. The only difference that I could see was that one of the cylinders had reducers in the ports to adapt it to the fittings on the brake lines. It's been working just fine for about 1 1/2 now and will lock them up if you really get on it. Factory size tires of course. My "upgraded" jeep will have 33's to start so I thought this upgrade might be a Good Thing to do. One suprise I had was that my brake lines hooked up to the master cylinder like they were made for this modified system. I had bought a complete set of prebent stainless steel lines from classic tube long before I had heard of this upgrade. I figured the lines from the proportion valve to the master cylinder would be either too short or I would have to bend them all to hell to get them to fit and end up making them look a mess. They lined up perfectly. Anyhow, good luck and if you have any other questions feel free. Hopefully I can answer it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 01:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just helped install a booster from a '77 Dodge 3/4 ton van
on my co-workers' CJ7. This is the type that fits sideways under the hood, and is operated by a bellcrank. He picked up a unit at the pick-a-part for $25, exchange, with the master!

The double diaphram booster fits the stock CJ bracket almost perfectly. Widthwise, we had to slightly narrow the mounting holes in the brackets. Height wise, the bolts fit perfectly. The factory spacer on the Dodge is needed to get the spacing to match the CJ booster (approx 1/2" thick plastic, could be made easily). The lines to the master bolted on perfectly, too.
We needed to make a bushing to fit the rod end, (the new boosters' clevis hole is around 5/8ths", the pin on the CJ is 3/8ths"), by using a 1/8" pipe union and boring out the threads to 3/8" we made a perfect fit. A slightly longer clevis pin was needed to connect the linkage as the rod end is wider on the Dodge booster, we cut off a grade 8 bolt with a long shank, and drilled a hole in the right spot for a clip.

The Jeep stops very well, the job took about 1/2 hour to complete.

The Corvette booster, with a YJ bracket has less effort, but more pedal travel than the Dodge Booster. The Dodge booster has about the same pedal height and travel but much less effort than the stock power brakes, the Corvette setup has a higher pedal, and longer throw, like that of a CJ with manual brakes, but is extremely powerfull. The difference is due to the fact that the Dodge booster uses the original multiplying linkage that the CJ booster had. The Corvette setup connects directly to the pedal arm, effectively higher on the pedal, giving greater leverage, but more travel.

Both boosters with the master cost around the same rebuilt, $100 with a core at the local Autozone. The old CJ booster can be returned as a core later, usually they won't notice it's different then.

Both setups are able to use the stock proportioning valve, I haven't experienced any problems yet.

Hope this helps!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 01:49 PM

I have a quick question. If you are using the GM booster, do you get the master for the GM, or one for a Jeep? Are they different?Pros/Cons of each? I've been needing to do this upgrade for a while now.

thanks

Sean

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Sean, you can still use the stock Jeep master cylinder. You could upgrade to the chevy master cylinder but you do not have to and it would make it a more involved swap. If you go this route look for a master cylinder from a sports car, vette, or something. You will probably have to change the fittings on the lines and that requires a tubing flare and a lot of unecessary stuff. Just keep the stock master cylinder if it works.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode