Kinda OT Oxygen sensors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Kinda OT Oxygen sensors

This is off topic for my application, but is a jeep issue..I just got my new four wheeler yesterday and read an article about changing oxygen sensors. Now I don't have one on my jeep, I do have one on my Suburban (grocery cart and tow vehicle). My question is, why do I need to replace a closed system sensor. Do they clog inside? Do they carbon up real bad that you can't clean them? Or is it an advertising thing that makes people spend money on something that has no real merit? Please enlighten me on these issues. Thanks for the excellent help, Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 06:37 PM
sas87yj

Re: Kinda OT Oxygen sensors

you can read about the o2 sensor at this site which might shed some light[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They deteriorate with age. They can also become contaminated. In general, newer vehicles, where nothing has been done to hurt the sensor, can go well over 100K miles. The so-called 'tune-up', today, for modern cars, includes a quick test for 'sluggishness' of the O2 sensor. If the sensor has become 'lazy' (trade-talk), it is replaced. Volvo (first to widely use the sensor) originally recommended replacement at about 25 or 30K. I've personally run a Volvo well over 100K, checking the sensor often, and never had a sensor problem.
I haven't looked at the reference site... I will check it out.

bobH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had to replace the O2 sensor on my ZJ. The check engine light would come on for a few days, then turn off for a few days. It did this for months, so I guess it started with around 50K miles on the vehicle. Anyway, I was pissed when I read that article. They made it sound soooo easy. It took me two days before I finally gave up and said I couldn't get it out. Over time, the different kinds of metals had welded themselves together. So I brought it to a shop, who eventually got it out with a torch and an impact wrench. I had to have that whole section of the exhaust pipe replaced.

It was after all this was said and done when I realized the '96 and newer ZJ's have two oxygen sensors. I had changed the wrong one.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode