VERY IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

VERY IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ!!!

We have a large issue here in Colorado with a certain individual that is giving off roaders a BAD name. He works for a local rock radio station KBPI and he goes by Willie B. His last offense was he invited over the air waves for people to meet him at a place and go wheeling. Over 200 vehicles ended up tearing up Caribou Flats, 25 acre wetland, which lies on private land and tore it all to hell. They called it a "mud fest." The owner tried to get them to stop and leave and the "mudders" just flipped him off and continued. The "mudders" ran OVER the No Trespassing signs on their way to this wetland. The owner has maintained this area for nearly THREE DECADES! This is not the first time this person has led a crusade of people and ruined nature. He also is known to throw animals from several, 4-6 stories, building to see if they will survive. We are talking Dogs, Chickens, Cats, Animals like this. He does all kinds of stuff like this on the air to get ratings. I use to like the music they played but will no longer listen to the station.

What I need from all of you is what do we do about this. Some of you on this board are in Colorado and may already know about this. Please help. We need to stop this kind of problem.

A few of us learned about this just a few hours ago and are already thinking of contacting the owner and seeing if we can help rebuild this wetland. We need to reinstate our image as good people and not all off-roaders are a$$ holes. I am sick and tired of people like this destroying our name. We are good people and do not want to be assosiated with this kind of scum. Please help out and let me know what we need to do or start up the correct action and tell us how we can help. Thank you for listening and I hope you can help. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Your jealous cause the voices only talk to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: VERY IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ!!!

Disgusting! I am all the way in WI, but if you need letters written or whatever let me know. I would like to help beat this radio DJ idiot senseless as well. Perhaps we could nab him and set up a traveling tour where all of us good wheelers could get a few licks in on him...

I think rebuilding the owner's land is in order. Like it or not one of our own (at least in the Grennie's eyes) stepped out of line and it is up to us as a four wheeling community to take responsibility and make it right, restoring our name in the process.

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, rotten floorboards, cheesy aluminum tub overlay, you get the idea....

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please e-mail me with the complete article including date and what paper and any more info you have about this idiot.. Off-Road.com will get involved in this. We are the #1 OHV mag in the world, and the Land Use Section that I edit has a huge number of readers. I plan on pursuing this, so please get me the info.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Damn right. We should FLOOD the radio station with letters admonishing his act or senselessness. Le me know if letters written to the landowner are needed as well. Any way I can help is fine with me, even if I am thousands of miles away. We, as OHV'ers, need to turn this around, and quick!

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:45 PM

MAN,you know that this just doesnt effect you in CO.Its bad media trying to support an agenda.Unfortunately,doing the good deed of helping restore this land wont get a write-up in the paper more than likely.Weve all got a "YEEHAWW"beer guzzlin kinda reputation that makes my gut turn.I feel and hear what your saying,And I think each state in some way has a story like this.Ive seen my share here in GA.

Criminals prefer unarmed victims!Al Gore wants your firearms!Defend 2nd Ammendment
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A somewhat nasty editorial was written in a local paper out our way regarding the noise and shooting that has been taking place in one of our OHV areas. We wrote several letters and e-mails to the author of the article and she actually interviewed some of us and wrote a follow up article that was pretty complimentary of our cause. So it can happen. We're still fighting the noise and shooting battle, but it was at least a ray of light.

Jason '87YJ
"If you didn't build it, it isn't yours . . ."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:13 PM

COULD ORC MAKE A POINT OF GETTING BEHIND THIS THING??
Anyone know of a better cause, or a better opportunity to make some GOOD headlines for a change?
-------------------------------
-------------------------------

To start with, File complaints with the FCC, and get him fined, and the station's license yanked.
What he did was called inciting a riot, conspiracy to commit a crime and about a dozen other violations...
The FCC doesn't take to kindly to using the air waves to commit crimes!
Getting him, and the station shut down will stop future transgressions.

Write to, call, or visit in person the local district attorney and sheriff, and impress upon them this WILL be an issue in the next election, and make sure you follow up on it!

BOMBARD the local news papers, radio and TV stations with calls, letters and e-mails about the incident, and demand that someone do something about it.
The press will do what ever gets the public reaction, and the press can get something done over a bunch of off roaders...
Make sure you offer to take them of 'PROPER', 'Tread Lightly' trail rides for lots of footage of what it should be like, and take them to the worst spots that the 'bubbas' are tearing up... Let them photograph the difference...
The nicer you are to them, the nicer they will treat you...
Maybe try to 'Romance' the station owners and managers or producers into off roading with you ....
Just to insure a good review

Make it a point to identify every vehicle and it's owner that shows up in the pictures of the 'Mud Fest'...
and provide that information to local law enforcement and local news places....
Maybe outing them on TV or news paper will make them think twice the next time!!
Off roaders know the other off road vehicles in their area, and as a group, you should be able to slap the offenders down..

I'm taking out adds with mug shots of offenders and pictures of their vehicles and placing them in news paper adds.
Mug shots are public records, so are police reports, so don't let them tell you can't have copies...
Any picture taken on the street is legal to print in a factual news story, even if you pay for the space...
Embarrass the snot out of the offenders, one or two a week...
Maybe do the 'MOST WANTED FOR TRESPASS AND DESTRUCTION OF WET LANDS' banner...
That will get some attention...

Lets see if there is a lawyer that will do the legal work for little or nothing in the area...
He can check the AD's for legal errors, and file the necessary small claims suits against the offenders as they are identified, and file the claim against the radio station and DJ that got the whole thing started...

EVERYONE IN THE AREA SUPPORT THE GUY THAT HAS TO CLEAN THE MESS UP!!
If you help, you may even wind up with a wonderful place to have a trail ride!!

Bring strong backs, and heavy equipment if you have it.
Trash bags and labor are going to be the most important thing.
Money to run the adds would be a good thing...
Start a trust somewhere and you can count on me for $20 towards the restoration of the ground, and the pursuit of the offenders.
Figure most reclaim work at $20 a square foot, so it isn't cheap!!

Put my name in the hat for one square foot.

I'm too far away, and too busted up for manual labor, but I will put my money where my mouth is!!
Now, lets see a few others do the same! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

What do you all think??

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you can back door this guy so to speak if it's possible for you to get some pictures of his cruelity to animals.Most city, towns and counties have laws against such things, and you could also send copies of these pictures to animal rights orginizations many of which are strong financially and could go after him and the station that he works for.The last thing that station wants is bad P.R.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TR, I already said we would! I just need a little more info, hopefully the original poster will get back to me ASAP.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:24 PM
joeybcdt

Another good point about letters... the FCC REQUIRES that ALL written complaint letters MUST be kept on file for FCC inspection. Don't bother emailing or calling. Write letters.

The fund idea is a good one too.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode