CJ-5..1964 or ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-5..1964 or ??

Hi,

I'm trading for a CJ-5 and was told it is a 1964...but...the wipers are at the bottom of the windshield and the gas tank is under the back..not the seat......is it a 64 or some year model? Numbers on the plate on the drivers side, under the hood, are....... 8305 Kaiser-Jeep.

Thanks a bunch,
Steve in West Virginia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:49 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: CJ-5..1964 or ??

Check the VIN # at http://specialtyparts.com/vins/55yr71cjvin.htm. But it doesn't sound like a mid 60's CJ-5, unless someone's modified it.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My guess is a 'little-yes-and-a-little-no' to the above posts. Yes, the tank not under the seat, and placed out-back, suggests a later Jeep. But, stock Jeeps with the tank out-back, do not have 8305 in their serial number. If the '8305' is real, and if the 8305 can be found on the frame (top of the rail, often on the right side, below the stock battery), then I would date it back in the era that was suggested. The fact that the '8305' tag is on the driver side confuses me. The ones that I have seen have had the tag on the right side, near the battery. If we had the complete number, 8305xxxxxxxxx, it would help a lot. Tank location and windshields, etc, can be changed - not really a good 'clue'. And, complete Jeeps can be assembled (I am guilty, here), so none of these clues may apply. Could be a late (72-up) chassis with an early (pre-72 body). The 8305 tag might not belong to it. Is there a gas-filler-hole in the side of the body, for an under-seat tank? Is the body steel? Fiberglass? We could go on. I quit. That VIN reference material, on the above post, is a good place to look, of you have a complete number.
bobH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

RoughRider-

My concern would be is the title a 1964 and the Jeep not. If the numbers on the title, body and frame do not match the Jeep may have a dark past. In my state, Washington, if you bring the vehicle in from out of state the State Police will be checking all the numbers before you can transfer tile and register the vehicle.

Buyer Beware!
Kriss

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 02:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My cj5 is also titled as a '64. The VIN plate also on the drivers side firewall ounder the hood reads 8305 170078. I have the tank under the seat and the wipers are at the top of the windshield.

"When in doubt go faster"
'64 CJ5, 351W, T-18
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 08:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the replys..it appears the body is not 1964..I'll need to buy a top, that's one reason I needed to know for sure what year it is..thanks for all the help..
Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode